Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sleep Apps

August 29, 2019 06:07AM
I'm a night owl and have been for years. I don't usually crawl into bed until around 2 am and I wake up around 6:30-7:00. But sometimes it takes me a while to get to sleep and then I'm commiserating because I can't get to sleep. It's like my brain wants to be awake but my body doesn't. And then I'm constantly looking at the clock thinking, "geez, I need to get to sleep. I have to wake up in 3 hours!" AAAARRRRGGGH

So, I've been noticing this tv commercial for an app called CALM which is supposed to help you get to sleep. I'm not a huge app person, but I thought I'd check it out. I downloaded it, saw it has a 7-day trial and then you have to pay (it ain't cheap)... and immediately deleted it. Sorry, but I prefer apps that don't cost me anything. Instead, I started searching in the App Store for a free sleep app, one that really appealed to me and I found a couple. I downloaded them and I have to say... I LOVE THEM. I especially love the sound of water... waves lapping or a thunderstorm. I find it so soothing. The first night, I set the timer on 15 minutes and played a Pacific Coast Thunderstorm. I was still awake after the 15 minutes went by, but as I listened, I could feel my breathing slow down and my body relax. Interesting. A few minutes after the app finished, I was out like a light. The 2nd night, I set the timer for 30 minutes and fell asleep before it finished. Surprisingly, I'm getting to sleep faster and my sleep seems to be more peaceful when using the app. Ok, I am sold!

Both apps have sounds that are locked that can only be unlocked if you fork over some money. But they have enough free sounds that I like (mostly nature sounds) that I really don't need any more features than what I already have for free. The apps I downloaded are: Soothing Sleep Sounds, Relax Melodies

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Sleep Apps

MamaRAMa188August 29, 2019 06:07AM

Those don't help me fall asleep...

JamesJM107August 29, 2019 07:40AM

We have a Google Home Speaker

IowaRam119August 29, 2019 08:46AM

Re: We have a Google Home Speaker

MamaRAMa109August 29, 2019 08:57AM

Re: Sleep Apps

waterfield106August 29, 2019 09:34AM