Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Does this amaze you as much as it does me... un-contacted civilizations..

November 15, 2017 09:02PM
As we speak, (or type), there are thousands (I have no idea how many), of people who have never seen a TV, or pants, or a pencil. They've never read a book... have a clue what a Big Mac is.

They have NO IDEA the world is round... or that oceans exist.

I'm sure you know the most famous 'un-contacted' people are the Sentinelese who live on an island somewhat off the coasts of Myanmar, Thailand. Famous probably because they still 'violently' reject any contact. ALTHOUGH... they have had a VERY limited bit of contact.... that lived. Other's who tried didn't make it. BUT... no lasting relations... iow (get the hell out of here and if you come back we'll shoot arrows at you).

Now the confusing part... this appeals to me. I like it. I 'respect' it. BUT.. is that the right, the moral, reaction? It's a tough question. I don't think anyone saying 'yes' or 'no' has very firm ground to stand on. And so.. I ignore the dilemma.. preferring instead to just bask in the 'joy' it give me, (right or wrong), to know that such people exist.

I read a book not all that long ago titled, "The Last Yahi"... which is about a man named "Ishi"... or that was the name he was given. Ishi was the last Native American in North America who had no contact with the 'white man' and in the year 1911, the only surviving member of his tribe, walked out of the Sierra Nevada Mtn's in Ca. and into 'civilization'. He adapted somewhat well, but no where near completely. He died of tuberculosis in 1916 having no immunity from the disease.

Can you even imagine what going to San Francisco must have been like for him? Even in 1911 it had to be a quantum leap as great as it would be for you and I to be suddenly abducted by aliens and transported to some planet in another star system.

Well, it's late.. my mind was wandering, so I wrote this. I do that some time. laughing smiley
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Does this amaze you as much as it does me... un-contacted civilizations..

JamesJM353November 15, 2017 09:02PM

Re: Does this amaze you as much as it does me... un-contacted civilizations..

73Ram256November 16, 2017 06:56AM

I don't know. . . .

RAMbeau250November 16, 2017 03:15PM

Re: I don't know. . . .

73Ram212November 17, 2017 11:38AM

what are pants?

ferragamo79244November 16, 2017 09:22AM

Went to a Raider game once

waterfield228November 16, 2017 09:26AM