Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cancer

April 07, 2017 04:54AM
Helen (my wife) is an oncology nurse specializing in head and neck. She is just working toward her doctorate (equivalent it's called a DNP) and crushing it with the equivalent to a 4.0 grade.

Apart from doing her job and working through school she has spent the last few weeks in what spare time she has organizing a free head and neck screening (which is today) for people who don't have insurance.

She has cajoled most (sadly not all, some aren't interested in anything that doesn't pay highly) of the doctors she works with to give up a morning and I am super proud of her.

But here's the thing, and I'm hoping mama can offer some input on this bearing in mind what she has had to endure.

Who here knew this month was head and neck cancer awareness month?

My guess is nobody.

Yet, I bet you all know October is breast awareness month just by the NFL involvement.

What's your thoughts on some cancers being sexier than others? I'm sorry to use that expression because it sounds crass, but I'm talking from a media perspective?

Helen got nowhere with most of the local TV stations covering what she was doing even with the help of the PR department, yet Breast awareness get's blanket coverage.

The same goes for lung cancer, it get's almost zero publicity (every conceivable caner has an awareness month), yet it kills almost four times as many people as breast cancer and is often way more preventable and thus could benefit from more coverage.

I suppose being married to Helen means I see things from a different perspective and I'm sure if every month was full of cancer awareness fatigue would set in, so I get I'm just rambling.

I

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Cancer

RamUK520April 07, 2017 04:54AM

That's awesome UK...

sstrams247April 07, 2017 05:07AM

You'll love this.

RamUK286April 07, 2017 05:59AM

Go Helen Go!

sstrams241April 07, 2017 07:59AM

having met you.........

21Dog210April 07, 2017 06:19AM

Re: Cancer