Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Baseball.. ethical? No? You decide.... I still liked it...

March 11, 2017 08:04AM
A few days ago I went to my 2nd oldest son's JV baseball game. I score the 'away' games so those who can't be there live can follow the games. I sometimes sit behind home plate but I hate looking thru a fence so this day I sat just past our player's bench on the right field side. So I didn't witness this - but man did I ever hear about it.

The pitcher for the opposing team's Dad was behind home plate. HUGE guy, body builder, not just a 'hobbiest' at body building - this guy was far from normal. GIANT biceps... too big, huge veins bulging everywhere.

He was calling his son's pitches. My daughter was sitting right behind him. We're not aware if the opposing coach knew about the Dad calling pitches.. maybe, maybe not.

My daughter picked up on his signals. thumbs up smiley My daughter didn't have any 'signals' worked out so she began calling out the pitches... "Curve ball coming". "Fast Ball".

The guy calling the pitches thought, at first, she was just 'good'.... and he was annoyed but didn't put 2 and 2 together for some time.

I think it was the 3rd inning our best hitter came to the plate.... took two balls then my daughter, just before the release, called "FAST BALL"... Long fly ball that hit some 'bleachers' set up in center field for the soccer field across the way.... ground rule double. Drove in a run.

The guy had put 2 and 2 together, finally.

So at that.. the guy stood up and in a loud voice called to his son, "I can't help you anymore". My daughter had busted his system. We still lost the game, unfortunately.

My daughter had ridden with me to the game... some 65 miles away in the town of Merced. All the way home, I'm pretty sure, she never stopped giggling and retelling the story... to say she was proud of herself is a gross understatement. She was giddy happy.

So just wondering... what would YOU have done, having picked up on the pitch calls? - JamesJM
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Baseball.. ethical? No? You decide.... I still liked it...

JamesJM501March 11, 2017 08:04AM

That's an easy one for me...

sstrams250March 11, 2017 10:03AM

ARRGGGHHHHH....

JamesJM248March 11, 2017 02:40PM

That's a good point..

sstrams218March 12, 2017 05:38AM

The rash of arm injuries these days is epidemic...

JamesJM225March 12, 2017 06:17AM

Re: The rash of arm injuries these days is epidemic...

waterfield217March 12, 2017 07:44AM

Oddly...

JamesJM250March 12, 2017 08:03AM

I tell ya what it is.

Ramgator246March 12, 2017 07:46AM