Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Apparently I'm not as tough as I thought...

March 07, 2017 08:56AM
I was unloading a trailer with some belongings... setting some things up in my house, when the car pulled into the yard. I didn't recognize the occupants.

Actually that hasn't been a bit unusual the last couple of weeks. Several people from various churches have been visiting homes up and down my street offering any help we might need. Very nice people, and I was very moved by their offers. I'm not keen on accepting help, however, so I graciously declined their help but with heartfelt thanks for the offers.

This car yesterday I felt sure was another offer of help... but no. This was the Fresno Bee. Fresno's newspaper. A reporter accompanied by her videographer. I declined the invitation to be be interviewed... once, then twice, then I lost count. She wasn't having it. They were filming and recording my replies before I was even sure who they were.

"thanks, but I'd rather not be on video or interviewed at this time". Fell on deaf ears. So it went for the next 3 hours.

A representative for the county showed up; the reporter had called him to meet with her in this area for some questions and answers. A PR guy, in other words. Well, I thought.... maybe I can get a few questions answered myself.. PR or not and other than the guys on the ground this would be my closest contact with the powers that be.

So after the first hour of me saying "no, please.. not now"... none of which was heard by the reporter.... the next half hour was them interviewing the county guy IN MY HOUSE. Keep in mind, we currently have ONE chair set up.. the rest stored. After half hour the county guy showed far more courage than me and ended the interview.... with the reporter and videographer hounding him all the way back to his car... I was filled with hope... now they would chase him, leaving me be. Didn't happen, the county guy backed out of my driveway and the news crew came back.

I had to come up with an alternate plan. "You should go up and film the levee in question, the flood waters. Drive straight up this road until you get stuck in the mud, you can't miss it".

They loved the idea... but they needed a guide. They had a van, I had a 4X4. Yes.... my hell was only beginning.

We drove the levee, stopping for video occasionally. A zillion questions. Got home and they got out and rather than leaving... followed me into my house. It dawned on me, this wasn't a symbolic hell - - - it was ACTUALLY hell... I couldn't remember dying but the empirical evidence for it being the actual hell was undeniable.... video and a nikon up my nostrils.... machine gun questions.

"Put something back into place in your home, we want to video it".

"No, I'm sorry but I have to get back to work".

"Ok, we'll video your wife".

"Fine... you do that"

Another hour.

So what I learned, from the county guy. The plan is build an earthen "dam", if you will, along Jefferson Ave... the road that runs north of my house, between me and the river. They think they can create a 'lake', again, if you will, north of Jefferson that will pond up then the water would stabilize and begin flowing north... not rising any higher. No guarantees, of course.

New data has indicated that even if it's a major break I would have 15 hours before the water hit Jefferson, it's another half mile to my home.

So things certainly don't sound 'good', exactly... but still a LOT better than the situation was two weeks ago. There is hope. - JamesJM
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Apparently I'm not as tough as I thought...

JamesJM434March 07, 2017 08:56AM

Glad there's hope...

sstrams241March 07, 2017 09:33AM

I'm hiring you as my PR guy.... Attachments

JamesJM250March 07, 2017 09:51AM

They probably will

sstrams255March 07, 2017 10:11AM

you're much more patient that I would be....

21Dog248March 08, 2017 04:15AM