Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PFF: Van Jefferson is in 'as good a situation as he could have hoped for'

May 24, 2020 01:40PM
I am excited to see what this kid has to offer! He has a great pedigree. I think I like him!

Link

Cameron DaSilva
2 hours ago

The Rams didn’t have a pressing need at wide receiver even after trading Brandin Cooks, but they selected Van Jefferson at No. 57 overall with an eye toward the future. Cooper Kupp and Josh Reynolds will both be free agents in 2021, so with Jefferson now on the team, they’re prepared to lose one of the two and still have good depth at wideout.

Jefferson probably won’t contribute much as a rookie unless he blows Reynolds out of the water in their camp competition, but he’ll be in the mix for a starting job in Year 2, most likely. Pro Football Focus still likes his fit with the Rams, though, ranking him seventh among all rookie wideouts in terms of the situations they were drafted into.

Even as the third receiver, Jefferson will be seeing the field. The Rams backed away from their 90%-plus rate of 11 personnel from 2018 a little bit this past year, but they still ran it 73% of the time in 2019. They also had the second-most pass plays of any team in the league (679). Even with a struggling Jared Goff who earned a 72.5 passing grade in 2019, Jefferson is still in as good a situation as he could have hoped for to produce.

Jefferson has a chance to learn from two outstanding route runners in Kupp and Robert Woods, which will only help him perfect his craft even more. He has the speed and talent to be a good No. 2 receiver one day, but he’ll need to really develop a lot in order to be a primary target on offense down the road.

That’s not to say he can’t be a No. 1 receiver because he does have similarities to Keenan Allen, Woods and Kupp, but he doesn’t have elite speed, leaping ability or athleticism.

For fantasy owners, he’s no more than a low-tier flex option in 2020. In dynasty leagues, he’d be a good pickup in the middle rounds with an eye toward the future.

#HelmetHornsMatter

“Well, the color is good, I like the metallic blue,” Youngblood recently said while laughing, via NFL Journal. “The horn is terrible. It looks like a ‘C.’ When I first saw it on the logo I honestly thought it was a Charger logo.

“Now when I see it on the helmet, it just isn’t a ram horn. There is no distinct curl like a mature ram horn. I don’t know how the Rams could get that wrong. That is your symbol and it has been for what? Seventy years or more? Longer than I have been alive? It’s just not us, it’s not the Rams.”---Mr. Ram Jack Youngblood

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

PFF: Van Jefferson is in 'as good a situation as he could have hoped for'

Ramsdude526May 24, 2020 01:40PM

Re: I will be surprised if Jefferson doesn't win WR3

merlin222May 25, 2020 10:59PM

Ramsdude190May 26, 2020 04:22AM

Rams43165May 26, 2020 06:45AM

LMU93135May 26, 2020 08:22AM