Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: draft needs by position (LA Times article)

March 28, 2020 09:28AM
Hazlet Hacksaw
When its all laid out like that its sobering. Long list of things that have to go right if this team has any chance to compete for title.

I see it just the opposite, Hacksaw. Not a long list at all. Heck, it’s a very short list.

Here’s how I see our vital but limited ‘20 needs, in no particular order:

RB. Needs to be potential starter quality, not a mere scrub, though.
Edge. Probably for depth and development, but might have to be a spot starter if Ebu, Obo, Patrick, or Floyd struggle.
ILB. Possibly a player to start in Littleton’s place, although Young or Howard might be that starter in Littleton’s place, actually. I see Kiser as the other starting ILB on approx 25% of snaps.
C. Heck, I’m not even sure that this is even vital. More of a strong want and possibly for future starter development. I think a healthy Blythe can do the job.

Those are the only vital needs that I see and frankly, Littleton’s replacement might already be on the roster and a healthy Blythe might be just fine as starter this year.

About Floyd. I suspect that Staley will move him around. I mean, a LOT. Sometimes as edge, sometimes as ILB. So, it kinda complicates the determination of exactly which position Staley feels is really needed in this draft. Plus, Floyd is currently on a one year prove it rental. Meaning that he might prove invaluable surrounded by this DL and secondary or he might struggle and be gone after this year. I’m hoping and kinda expecting the former but we’ll see.

Lesser needs, but certainly not vital, would be the following:

FS. If Christian doesn’t come back, a FS would continue to enable Staley to frequently use Rapp as a semi-LB hybrid as Wade did so effectively.
OL. Mostly for future development. OL is virtually an every draft strategy, anyway.
Backup QB. TBH, I like Wolford in that role but it’s always a good idea to draft a QB for the possible future, huh?
CB. For depth and development.
WR. For depth and the ‘21 season that might find us without Cooks and/or Reynolds.
PK. Gotta replace GZ somehow.

Bottom line? We’ve got the draft and 2nd/3rd tier FA’s to fill those top 4 needs over the next 5 months. Not even a speed bump for Snead, IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2020 09:31AM by Rams43.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

draft needs by position (LA Times article)

21Dog389March 28, 2020 05:32AM

Hazlet Hacksaw222March 28, 2020 05:37AM

Rams43174March 28, 2020 09:28AM