Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay - Media Availability - September 20, 2019

September 20, 2019 02:06PM
TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay - Media Availability - September 20, 2019

(Opening Remarks)
“From an injury standpoint, we’re going to rule (TE) Tyler Higbee out. We’re going to keep him back, hopefully we’ll be able to get him back next week. The other guys with (OL) Austin (Blythe) and then (DT) Aaron (Donald) will be listed as questionable. Aaron is feeling good, probably just more a semantics than anything else.”

(On if OL Austin Blythe is able to play on Sunday)
“There’s a chance. With these ankle injuries, it’s one of those deals we’re going to use all the time that we do have. See if we can get some of that swelling out and if he feels good enough, then we’ll make a decision on that. Really, it’s just a matter of thinking through, ‘Okay, who’s going to be kind of that 44th, 45th, 46th guy that you want to use up?’ If he’s feeling good enough to do that, we may go that direction, but we’re going to use the time that we do have.”

(On how he feels about TE Gerald Everett stepping into the starting tight end role)
“Very good. He’s a starting caliber player. He’s done a great job. We’re really fortunate to have two good tight ends that we feel like are starting type players. I think (TE) Gerald (Everett) will get a chance to demonstrate why he can really play on all three downs as well.”

(On if there was a specific play that DT Aaron Donald did something to his back on)
“I can’t remember. I remember there was a certain reaction afterwards. He plays so physical and violent, I think it was more just the torque that he created on his own. I’m not exactly sure which specific play it was.”

(On if Donald’s back is something that they are worried about lingering)
“No, it’s more muscular than anything else. He felt a lot better today. More than anything, we’re just being as smart and as careful as we can with Aaron.”

(On if Donald is questionable for Sunday)
“He’s playing (laughs). It’s a questionable because really, we’re smart with him. He didn’t do some things, but unless something really unforeseen happens, this guy is going on Sunday night.”

(On if he checks into the availability of WR Antonio Brown since the Patriots released him or if they pass)
“You always look into things. We evaluate, but with the situation we have specific to the receiver position, we couldn’t be happier with the guys that we do have.”

(On his assessment of the Browns)
“I think they’ve got really good players. I think they did a great job last year. If you just look at the latter half of the season, they won a lot of games, played really good, productive football. I think two games is really a very small sample size to evaluate what the season looks like in terms of the entirety of the league. You definitely see in the two games why they’re a very tough match up. You see why the hype is real. They’ve got great players, they’ve got good coaches and its going to be a great challenge for us to go to their place and see if we can come away with a win.”

(On how he feels CBs Marcus Peters and Aqib Talib have played so far)
“I think they’ve done a nice job. I think really our defense as a whole has done an outstanding job communicating. Like with anything else, there’s always some things that we can continue to clean up. I think in terms of limiting the big plays when you look at we’ve only given up two plays over 20-yards in the first two games against two explosive offenses, that’s a very positive thing. Make offenses snap it one more time, but been pleased with those guys.”

(On his decision to leave tomorrow rather than today)
“The time that we kick off. Last year when we actually played Chicago on Sunday night, it felt like we were there for two and a half weeks. (laughs) I think more than anything, being able to have an extra day and just getting the body clock adjusted and just some of the things that I’ve been educated on - on what’s going to be the best way to travel, but keep our guys in a normal rhythm and a routine. We’ve practiced a little bit later this week and we’ll get up earlier tomorrow and we’ll fly out there. Because we kick off later, we felt like it’s not going to be something that you need to go two days in advance. Different than Carolina where it was 10 o’clock in our heads, so that was a three-hour time change just kind of getting guys acclimated. That was what went into that approach. Similar, to like what we did in the NFC Championship if we were kicking off even at 4:00 or something like that, you feel like you can make it a one-day trip as long as all the things align with what we want to do from a sports-science standpoint.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky338September 20, 2019 02:06PM