Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips, RB Todd Gurley II - Media Availability - September 19, 2019

September 20, 2019 12:17AM
TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips, RB Todd Gurley II - Media Availability - September 19, 2019

Rams Head Coach Sean McVay
(Opening Remarks)
“Injury update on (OL) Austin Blythe – he making good progress. He’s still going to be day-to-day, he won’t practice today. The same thing with (TE) Tyler Higbee.”

(On DT Aaron Donald and RB Malcolm Brown appearing on Wednesday’s injury report)
“(Rcool smiley Malcolm (Brown) had a little bit of a sore ankle – he should be okay. We were, more than anything – when he kind of just communicated that there was some soreness, better off being smart with it. That was kind of the approach that we took. He’s feeling better today, so I anticipate him participating (in Thursday’s practice). (DT) Aaron (Donald) is feeling better as well and he’s going to go today as well.”

(On if he believes Higbee will be available for Sunday’s game)
“I think it’s a good question. I think we really are taking it day-by-day, so we’ll find out Sunday at 8 p.m. Actually, you’ll find out before, because I have to turn the inactives in before then, right? (Laughs).”

(On how he emphasizes the Browns’ ability to make a big play early in the game to the defense)
“It’s a good question. Really, it’s about applying pressure to an offense by mixing up some of the looks, bringing certain guys going forward. Typically, you’re used to just a four-man rush – maybe thinking about bringing five, six, maybe seven guys. Just changing up some different things, being aware of what we’ve done to not let them dictate the circumstances. We always want to try and apply pressure to our opponents – I know most teams feel that way, vice versa. That’s kind of an overall philosophy, where we’re going to be aggressive, but smart on offense, defense and special teams.”

(On how the tight end role changes without Higbee playing)
“Really not much. (TE) Tyler (Higbee) is a very, very important piece, but (Tight Ends Coach) Wes Phillips is coaching (TE) Gerald (Everett) up to be able to do all the things that you’ve seen Tyler do in some of those early down and distances. We’ve seen Gerald play in a lot of those early downs as well, but then also be a key contributor in some of our known passing situations. Gerald is more than capable of doing those types of things, as is (TE) Johnny Mundt – if Tyler’s down, then he’ll be up.”

(On if he notices defenses changing their schemes against the Rams’ offense from year-to-year)
“There’s trends in the league that go around. Situationally, schematically, those are things that you kind of always want to adapt and evolve. In certain ways that you’ve seen us get defended differently, but you look around the league and you see some of that defensive structure showing up in some different places. It’s really – I think – a lot of times in the offseason especially, all the coaches around the league get a chance to really have access to every single play that occurred during that previous season. You’re going to study some of the teams that maybe had some success or that do some different things that you feel like fits – schematically and situationally – for your players. That’s where you kind of just see some of the things adjust year-to-year. A lot of people made a big deal about some of the fly-motions, different things like that or the jet sweeps. I think you see some trends, but at the end of the day, a lot of the things go back to fundamentals, techniques, executing and being able to do the things that have consistently enabled teams to execute, whether it be on offense or defense over time.”

(On if he remembers what the main points of emphasis were for defenses across the league last season)
“It depends on the situation. A lot of the calls that you see and a lot of the calls that we make offensively or that defensive coordinators make defensively, are predicated on the situation. Some of your 1st-and-10 calls are going to be different than your third-down menus. I think you see consistent themes in terms of, ‘What’s the intent of a call?’ Are you trying to beat a protection by overloading the back in a third down situation? Are you trying to stop the run game by creating a chance of loading the front, so that you minimize the opportunity to get some of your combination blocks? I think it goes back to what the intent is. There’s certain defensive systems and offensive systems that have core foundational elements to it. Like anything else, we’ll steal plays from other people if we feel like it fits. I think it all goes back to, ‘What’s the baseline identity?’ You see how productive Seattle’s been for so long – the famous ‘three-deep four underneath’ that they play. You see similar schemes in San Francisco, Jacksonville, Atlanta. It really depends on who you’re talking about and what their identity is and then how they adjust and adapt by year.”

(On if he has talked to LB Clay Matthews about letting him see his father’s ceremony of getting inducted into the Browns Ring of Honor)
“We talked about it last week. He told me that it was going to take place at halftime. I want to make sure that we’re understanding to making our adjustments, but then understand what a special moment this is for him, his family and to be able to experience that. To be there playing on the opposing team that night is pretty unique and hopefully this will lead to getting inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame as well.”

(On what he thinks about Matthews regarding his level of play with consideration to his age and how is doing this season and how many more years he thinks Matthews has in him)
“He sure looks like he’s doing really well. One of the reasons why we wanted him here so badly is because we saw it firsthand with how productive he was defending us when we played the Packers the previous year. He influenced the game in a variety of ways. I’ve been a fan of his just watching his versatility. In terms of the different things that you can do with him, how smart he is. He’s twitchy, he’s feeling good. You guys have all seen what he’s done over the first couple of games. He continues on this trajectory, it’s going to be really good for the Rams. It’s been good for the Rams so far and we’re really fortunate to have him.”

(On if he thinks there is a comparison to Browns QB Baker Mayfield such as Seahawks QB Russell Wilson)
“You have a natural tendency to go towards, ‘Okay, if it’s a smaller in stature,’ but what you see is a guy that plays the position at a really high level. He can make plays in rhythm, there’s no throws that he can’t make. I think he does a great job. He can drive intermediate and breaking cuts, you see a third-and-long that he hit against the Jets. Does a great job manipulating the coverage with his eyes and then hitting the backside dig. He can create off-schedule as well as anybody and then just the fiery competitor. He’s playing the position at a high level, he’s making good decisions. Everybody makes a big deal about how long you’re holding it. Each play, he’s doing a great job recognizing a three-man rush, breaking contain and then guys are working for him off-schedule. When you flip the film on, you see a really good quarterback who’s only getting better and who’s a great competitor that makes people around him better.”

(On what the fine line is between being disciplined and attacking on an off-schedule play)
“That’s what is so hard about the quarterback position is there is so many different situations, circumstances that dictate whatever that answer is. Ultimately, if the things are there in rhythm, you want guys to read with their feet, play within the timing and rhythm of the play, understanding that there is 22 moving parts that don’t go exactly how you want it as a coach. There’s a feel to it knowing when, ‘Okay, if the rush lanes or the integrity is lost, can I break contain? Getting some depth while keeping my eyes down the field.’ I think as much as anything, it’s a feel. I think he’s got a great feel for when to stay in rhythm or maybe even off-schedule in the pocket if the rush allows or if he’s got to get flushed and then guys do a great job working for him off-schedule”

(On what challenges there are when attacking defensively on an off-schedule play)
“Incredible, because now what that does is, you’re not having a static target that he might not be in a consistent launch point. He has the ability to make you miss. Then that also stresses the second and third levels because now you’re having to maintain coverage integrity longer. With some of your zone stuffs, you really have a chance to break down and then it’s really hard to cover in ‘man’ as it is against the caliber of players in this league, let alone when you start holding the ball for a little bit longer. So, it’s a problem.”

(On what his experience is with going against Browns WR Odell Beckham Jr.)
“He’s a great player. Consistently, he’s got the ability to score at any point no matter where he catches it. That’s referenced by last week with the Jets. There’s not many players in this league that can catch short, intermediate, down the field and can literally score on any single moment, any play. He’s an explosive play waiting to happen. He’s got great feel for how to separate in terms of his body control. Everybody sees what great hands that he has, they move him all around. There’s really no limitations in his game and you see why he’s been so productive and why he is a great challenge for us that we’re looking forward to on Sunday night.”

Rams Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips

(Opening Remarks)
“We’ve certainly got another big challenge this week. I think their offense makes a lot of big plays, a lot of explosive plays. Of course, anytime you have (WR) Odell Beckham Jr., you have the possibility to making those, but he’s going to make some himself. They’ve got a Georgia running back that is pretty good too. (Browns RB Nick) Chubb is a really good, young back. They got a great young quarterback. I’m not sure everybody realizes how good this young player is early in his career. There has been a lot of great ones that haven’t done as well as he’s done in there first, however many games he’s played. I remember (Former Browns Qcool smiley Otto Graham with 14 touchdowns and 20 interceptions in the 1950s. I didn’t say I was coaching then, I said, I remember reading that Otto Graham, one of the greatest of all time, obviously, a Cleveland quarterback. (Browns QB Baker) Mayfield has got a whole lot of tremendous ability and has really done well. I think they expect so much of a first-round pick and so forth, but I think he’s played well and he continues to play well and he gets better that’s worrisome.”

(On how he defends a quarterback that’s not scared to take chances like Mayfield, and how he defends that)
“The off-schedule stuff is where the really good players come through and he’s’ shown that so far in his career. He gets off-schedule and makes some really big plays. Like I’ve said, they’ve had a lot of explosive plays. Not only can he throw it, he has a really good arm from the pocket, but he gets out there in space and finds somebody and throws it tremendously well when he gets out of the pocket. He’s not out of the pocket to run with it, he’s out of the pocket to make a big play and he’s done a good job with that.”

(On his impressions on WR Odell Beckham watching him through his career)
“Everybody knew how good he was with the Giants and he’s continued that. They throw a short pass and it’s an 89-yard touchdown. The Jets, everybody has had trouble stopping him. He had a 143-yards last week. He’s a really great player. You’ve got to try to double him as much as you can, certainly.”

(On what he will tell his DBs covering Beckham if he makes a big play)
“Anytime they make a big play on you, you go the next play. We’re trying to limit those and we’ve done a pretty good job with those so far this year. We’d like to continue that.”

(On how he will balance out what Browns WR Jarvis Landry and Beckham bring to the table with the smarts of S Eric Weddle and CB Aqib Talib)
“(Browns WR) Jarvis Landry is another guy that is tough to cover too, especially on the option routes and those kinds of things. He can really get open on those things. Both of those receivers, with a quarterback that can give them the ball, is going to be problems for you. We’ve got to realize that and play our techniques really well. We need to rush, obviously. We need to stop the running game on first and second down, try to get them in longer passing situations, then you can an advantage.”

(On DT Sebastian Joseph-Day stepping in the right direction)
“(DT) Sebastian (Joseph-Day) did come in and played well. He’s playing with our base defense, not our dime, sub defense. He played well in the preseason and he’s done a good job so far. We haven’t seen a whole lot of base defense against the two teams we’ve played, so we’ll see how many snaps he gets this week.”

(On LB Clay Matthews’ dad being inducted to the ring of honor this weekend and what Matthews has brought to the team)
“(Lcool smiley Clay Matthews come in and done a great done, Clay the III, has done a great job for us. We’ve said all along that he’s a good player and he’s shown that already. His dad going into the ring of honor it’s well deserved. I’ve coached in that division a long time against Cleveland, Otto Graham wasn’t there then. Gut Clay Matthews was and I thought he was a great player. He was a great player. To play 19 years at outside linebackers is unheard of. I know offensive linemen can play a long time, you just don’t see many defensive players, especially at that position where you got to run, you got to hit, all those things, you got to cover, he’s a really good cover guy too. It’s really neat that they’re putting him in the ring of honor and I hope he’s wearing a Rams jersey when they do it (laughs).”

(On what told him that LB Cory Littleton and LB Bryce Hager would be able to play at a high level)
“I mean you don’t have to be a high draft choice to be able to play in this league. Those two guys have shown that. (Lcool smiley Cory (Littleton) had a tremendous year last year and (Lcool smiley Bryce (Hager) came the last couple of years when we had injuries and played really well and has gotten better and better. You’ve got to be a solid football player to be able to play in this league and both those guys, no matter when they were drafted or not, can do that. You see it throughout the league, inside linebackers, I think we miss more probably on the inside linebackers than we do anybody (in the draft) as far as higher draft choices and those guys coming through. College football has changed a little bit, it’s harder to find that inside, rough tough, inside linebacker. Because so much college football is just outside passing game and all that. But both those guys played well against the run and the pass.”

(On how he would asses CB Aqib Talib and Marcus Peters)
“(Ccool smiley Marcus (Peters) and (Ccool smiley Aqib (Talib) have both played real solid for us. We haven’t given up many big plays and they’re not going after them. You always see a ball game you say, well their going after this one cornerback because the other cornerback can’t really play. They haven’t gone after either of our corners very much because both of them can play.”

Rams RB Todd Gurley II

(On playing in primetime against the Browns)
“Yeah, it will be cool”

(On seeing Browns RB Nick Chubb this weekend and if he stays in touch with him)
“Yeah, we stay in touch. Yeah I see him.”

(On how cool it is to have two RBs from University of Georgia playing each other this weekend)
“I’ve played against Georgia running backs before, but yeah it’s pretty cool.”

(On if he taught Chubb everything he knows like Patriots running back Sony Michel)
“Both of them.”

(On if he is friend with Browns WR Odell Beckham Jr. and what his take is on him as a receiver)
“One of the best in the game.”

(On what makes Beckham one of the best WR in the game of football)
“You saw what he did the other night, 89 yards to the house. It doesn’t get much better than that.”

(On what he thinks of WR Cooper Kupp’s stiff arm against the Saints)
“It was a good play, great play. I wish he would have got the touchdown. It was a great play, great play.”

(On his ability to use the stiff arm and if it’s something that he practices)
“It’s a natural reaction. We do drills in practice, but just something natural.”

(On what challenges he thinks the Browns defense poses)
“They’ve got great defense. A lot of veteran guys over there, great ends – (DE Olivier) Vernon and (DE) Myles Garrett some good DBs, young DBs but pretty good. Linebackers are good. Still learning their system, but is a good defense.”

(On if the hype on the Browns during the offseason makes the game more exciting)
“That’s their hype. I don’t have nothing to do with that, I play with the Rams.”

(On how the young offensive linemen are performing)
“They’re doing good, they’ve been doing good all year, OTAs training camp. Just progressing as we go.”

(On if he thinks the offense has struggled to score touchdowns in the first half of the first two games and if he thinks something has to happen going forward)
“We’re 2-0, trying to get to 3-0. That’s all that matters.”

(On how smart WR Cooper Kupp is on the field)
“He’s a smart player, he’s always been there with the quarterbacks – protection meetings, even in the special team meetings, even though he’s not on special teams He’s just that type of player he’s a student of the game he’s just a great football player.”

(On catching up with Los Angeles Clippers forward Montrezl Harrell at Sunday’s game)
“It was cool. I know a couple of the Clippers guys and the coaches said they were coming out to the game. Always good to see him (Clippers forward Montrezl Harrell) – a guy I played against him in high school and grew up in the same area. It was good to see him for sure.”

(On if Harrell dunked on him during a high school basketball game)
“Yeah, he dunked on me in high school.”

(On what he remembers from that game)
“I shouldn’t have jumped, that’s all. (Laughs)”

(On playing against Harrell in high school football as well)
“Yeah, he played football, too. It was cool. Their team sucked, though. It was cool. Just looking back at the past and seeing how far we came. Just two kids from Tarboro (North Carolina) now, seven years later, being in L.A.”

(On if they have stayed in tough regularly)
“Yeah, been in touch since he was in Houston. Seen him during the Super Bowl in Houston and stuff like that. I try to catch a couple Clippers games as well – just try to support him.”

(On if there is a confidence amongst the team when they are playing close games)
“Yeah, it’s just one of those things you just kind of just treat it what it is. You try not to really look at the scoreboard and just go out there and just play your game. Don’t really go into panic mode – you go into panic mode, that’s when you start playing without yourself and your technique. You start trying to do a little extra, maybe trying to cut all the way back, trying to make a play on your own instead of just trusting all other 10 guys and you just doing your job.”

(On if he’s learned to not play outside of himself as he mentioned)
“Just one of those things where you just – that’s what’s good about us. We practice all of these types of situations. There’s this thing that (Head) Coach (Sean) McVay preaches that we never flinch, we don’t feel pressure, we apply it. Stuff happens, if it doesn’t go your way, it doesn’t go your way. You just move on.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky276September 20, 2019 12:17AM