Re: Goff has been working on reacting post-snap this offseason

June 25, 2019 08:22PM
Rampage2K-
moklerman
zn
moklerman
RamBill
Goff has been working on reacting post-snap this offseason

In his recent MMQB column for Sports Illustrated, Albert Breer broke down what exactly Goff has been working on during OTAs and minicamp. Breer writes that “the Rams spend their spring trying to master their own offense,” and that “the offensive calls going in this spring routinely put Goff and the offense in a spot where they have to react post-snap.”

This means Goff is focusing on improving at adapting to what the defense calls, and going through his progressions rapidly with little time to react to what he’s seeing.

It seems to be paying off so far, as Breer has been told that “Goff’s done a better job this spring in more quickly getting to his second read, then to his third read or checkdown.” Ever since Goff started to break out, his success has been diminished by detractors who credit McVay for most of the Rams’ success.

Go to Full Article--
[theramswire.usatoday.com]
All of which only supports the idea that he has indeed been working with training wheels. Which isn't a bad thing considering the quick turnaround and overall results. But it also confirms that the league figured out how to take away what had been so successful. While I'm glad they are addressing it, I'm not particularly thrilled that they have to focus on this after year 3 for Goff. As good as the gimmick was, IMO, it did retard his growth as an NFL QB. Hopefully it's all just part of McVay's plan and is on his schedule.

It;s not rare for a young back to encounter situations where the defensive looks and adjustments are new to him. I said at the time--after the Denver and Detroit games--that Goff was reacting like a young qb who had not seen everything yet and had encountered something new. So that is what I saw at the time, and said so. Plus of course McVay had trouble adjusting as well, in those few times when defenses got up on what they were doing (Lions, Bears, Patz). So that was far from just being Goff.

To prove it's all due to "training wheels" you would have to demonstrate that most good qbs were adept at doing that (adjusting on the fly to disguised defenses and unexpected defensive looks) in their 3rd year. I kinda doubt that's the case.

In Brady's 3rd year he had 8 games with a qb rating under 80...including games where it was 76, 75.4, 74.7, 68.5, 67.4, 57.6, 47.2, & 44. In those games he had 6 TDs and 9 Ints. His last 4 games of his 3rd year, his avg. qb rating was 57.7 and he had 2 TDs and 3 INTs.

Do you think Brady was prepared for every defensive look he saw in his third year? Does that mean they had him on training wheels up to then? He's a master at adjusting now...did that develop overnight?

No, I don't think it developed overnight but I do think his development, like coming off his first read and going through his progressions started earlier because he wasn't aided by a gimmick offense that the league had trouble stopping.

As far as the struggles being on Goff, I do think they were. There are plenty of reviews of his games that show he was forcing passes, missing open receivers and not taking what the defense would give in favor of big play attempts. I believe that more than I believe McVay couldn't think of what to do. He's a good coach and took the blame but I've seen all the potential plays that were there to be had and the coaching and scheme were fine. The execution was at fault.

Execution had a lot to do with it...especially up front. They simply got outplayed for most of the night. There was plenty of blame to go around for the loss, blaming the 24 year old QB is a bit short sighted.... sometimes you just have to give the other team some credit also instead of blaming the coach and QB.

I'm not trying to blame anyone. But Goff obviously needs work on his progressions and I'm glad they're focusing on it. If you don't agree, take it up with McVay.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Goff has been working on reacting post-snap this offseason

RamBill732June 24, 2019 05:18PM

This is potentially the most consequential news of the offseason

JamesHarrisFanClub393June 25, 2019 07:19AM

zn355June 25, 2019 08:21AM

David Deacon406June 25, 2019 10:04AM

bigjimram21236June 25, 2019 07:47PM

check out this video