Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Random analysis from re-viewing of 2018 games

June 15, 2019 02:41PM
Having some free time recently, I have been rewatching some games from 2018 on Youtube. Here are a number of random observations that I made:

1. John Kelly actually got into live action with the starters more than I remembered, at least in the games I watched. He played a lot of the final 49ers game. So....the guys showed nothing. He seemed to have a slow first step or no instincts or was just thinking too much. I have no confidence that he will be on the team after the 53 man cutdown. Justin Davis also made no good impressions in his limited number of carries.
2. Noteboom, on the other hand, played the whole 49ers game at left tackle and had a number of noticeable great plays, especially in run blocking. Fairly small sample size and 49ers were trash, but still I am very high on his potential.
3. Jo Jo Natson was a problem. Boy can move, but made terrible decision after terrible decision. Put us in a hole several times and may have lost the Philly game for us. I want him gone. He's got good moves but the first thing I want in a punt returner is good decisions.
4. Its interesting to me that both Barron and Joyner are gone. In the games I rewatched, and from memory, they shared several characteristics. Both of them seem to prefer to go for the big hit. Both of them, but especially Joyner, also made bad decisions and extended drives for the other team by making late hits and drawing personal fouls. Neither of them used good tackling technique and wrapped up - both tended to go for the big hit and ended up bouncing off of ballcarriers. I don't think its a coincidence that both of them are gone.
5. We really depended on Gurley too much. He played great most of the time, but it is no surprise that he wore down. Our offense is great when it runs through Gurley. Here's hoping that a combo of Gurley and Henderson can provide the same production while keeping TG30 fresh.
6. Tyler Higbee made some big plays/catches, including some very athletic plays in clutch spots. I know his stats aren't great but maybe we are underestimating him.
7. Corey Littleton was a huge find. I have a feeling he may end up being an all-pro.
8. Obviously, this is not a new observation, but Goff still can improve a lot. I am on the " he has gotten better every year he started, and is only 24" bandwagon, but as many good plays as he makes, he has the potential to make a lot more.
9. Not Rams related, but Nick Foles always seems to come to play versus the Rams. He took multiple huge hits in the Philly game and still they won on numerous big plays he made. Respect.

Not sure anything is new here, but if anyone is looking you can find either full (no commercial) games or condensed games from about half of 2018 on Youtube, including the full playoffs. I was surprised by how much was available.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Random analysis from re-viewing of 2018 games

RantoulRam599June 15, 2019 02:41PM

Higbee

alyoshamucci348June 15, 2019 06:56PM

Re: Higbee

Scottish Ram338June 16, 2019 10:07AM

Re: Higbee

cool_hand_luke226June 16, 2019 10:31AM

Re: Higbee.... he's had 3 seasons

Anonymous User258June 16, 2019 11:14AM

Re: Higbee.... he's had 3 seasons