June 10, 2019 06:49AM
Gerald Everett: Eric Weddle is 'almost like having a McVay on defense'

Cameron DaSilva

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Sean McVay is one of the brightest minds in the NFL, particularly when it comes to offense. But according to Gerald Everett, the Los Angeles Rams might have the defensive version of McVay, too.

Only, he’s not talking about Wade Phillips or any other coach on the staff. He’s comparing Eric Weddle to McVay.

In a recent interview, Everett was asked about facing Weddle in practice and how much it helps him develop into a better player. He was quick to offer praise for the veteran safety, marveling at his football intelligence and agreeing with Marcus Peters that Weddle is a “genius.”

“He is. He’s almost like having a McVay on defense,” Everett said. “He’s giving me some of the best looks I’ve ever seen. To see him out here and compete, I can’t say enough. I’m happy.

“I know for sure I won’t see guys like that on most game days, at least. He’s switching up his looks and giving me the best look I could possibly see and just letting me work around it.”

Weddle isn’t the best athlete in the world and is older than most safeties, but he has rare instincts and field vision, which makes him an elite defender. He’s quick to react to what he’s seeing, which makes up for his lack of speed at the age of 34.

He’s going to be an asset on defense for the Rams this season, but for now, he’s helping Everett become an even better tight end. The young tight end feels he progressed during OTAs, as did the entire team.

“OTAs has been extremely well for us. I feel like we definitely as a team took steps forward, and me individually, definitely took steps forward,” Everett said.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Gerald Everett: Eric Weddle is ‘almost like having a McVay on defense’.

Rams43464June 10, 2019 06:49AM

Re: Wade & Weddle

merlin234June 10, 2019 07:05AM

Who needs Wade Phillips...

jemach264June 10, 2019 08:00AM

Re: Who needs Wade Phillips...Weddle to DC in 2024

Steve168June 10, 2019 10:17PM

Re: Who needs Wade Phillips...Weddle to DC in 2024

CraigMatson113June 11, 2019 08:13AM