Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Five Takeaways from the third week of OTAs

June 08, 2019 12:29PM

1) PLENTY OF SITUATIONAL WORK

One of the pillars of the program head coach Sean McVay has implemented in the last few years is that he wants the Rams to be situational masters.

To that end, Los Angeles has worked on plenty of specific situations throughout the course of OTAs. Two examples are third downs and red zone.

The Rams finished second in both yards and points last season, but there’s room for improvement in a number of different areas. L.A. did end the year No. 5 in third down conversion rate at 45 percent, but that number went down to 33 percent in the conference championship game and Super Bowl LIII.

And when it comes to the red zone, LA. ranked No. 18 in scoring touchdowns finished No. 22 scoring touchdowns in goal-to-go situations.

Because the Rams return the same offensive system and aren’t integrating any starters who weren’t on the team last year, the unit as a whole can focus on improving in these areas throughout the offseason program. It’s a luxury many teams around the league don’t have.

2) EVERETT STANDING OUT

It seemed like every day throughout OTAs, tight end Gerald Everett made an impressive catch. The third-year tight end has made an impacting spurts during his first couple of seasons, recording a total of 49 receptions for 564 yards with five touchdowns. He’s also taken three carries for 29 yards, displaying some versatility.

But as Everett enters his third year, there’s certainly room for growth in Los Angeles’ offense at the tight end position. And as a former second-round pick, it’s fair to expect Everett could fill it.

“Yeah I feel like I hold myself to even a higher standard not even referencing being a second-round [selection], but just trying to be an elite caliber player on the field and off the field as well,” Everett told therams.com this week. “Just trying to exceed expectations that they set for me and have those high standards for myself.”

If his performance during OTAs is any indication, Everett should be able to take a big step and meet those higher standards in 2019.

Go to Full Article--
[www.therams.com]
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

RamBill365June 08, 2019 12:29PM