Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Rams center Allen ready for "full-time gig" as starter

May 21, 2019 02:53AM
Brian Allen was not on short lists of centers in the 2018 draft and his draft profile done by Lance Zierlein, who is pretty good for an analyst had Allen rated as a 7th round pick, but Les Snead and & Aaron Kromer felt differently.

As for last season, Allen did showcase he had the type of metal and although small in stature, he battles and being a former wrestler, would have the advantage of leverage and the utilization of his hands, but I'm still, but I think of Eddie Goldman of the Chicago Bears, who gave the Rams fits and Michael Bennett too for example and how will Brain Allen hold up against players of this size?

I have confidence with Allen in his mental makeup, I feel this his the best part of his game, so I believe the line calls and adjustments will be spot on. I have not seen many of his snaps in shotgun formation, so that aspect is still a work in progress, but one thing keeps me confident that Brian Allen will be very strong center for the Los Angeles Rams and that's his play at Michigan State.

Watched many of Allen's games at MSU, including several games against The Ohio State University and the Spartans ran the ball well with Allen being the catalyst. Tough and great on a zone blocking scheme that running game coordinator and offensive line Coach Aaron Kromer employees, however, his lack of length becomes obvious when matched against opponent who can race into neutral zone off snap and Allen needs to be fast and first with his hands or his power is nullified.

As last season wore on, John Sullivan was vulnerable of not being able to get leverage and the New England Patriots exploited this plus Austin Blythe as well, who had a horrendous Super Bowl. Allen should be an upgrade over Sully last season, but until I see more games, I will always be concerned as the the backup to Allen is Austin Blythe another undersized leverage guy, unless some of the UDRFA's showcase something like Brandon Hitner of Villanova or the Rams brought back Jeremiah Kolone from last season, will he showcase the ability to play Center? Should be an interesting training camp, that is for sure.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Rams center Allen ready for "full-time gig" as starter

RamBill663May 20, 2019 08:38PM

den-the-coach242May 21, 2019 02:53AM

oldschoolramfan186May 21, 2019 05:01AM

3030190May 21, 2019 05:36AM

PHDram168May 21, 2019 07:09AM

As Brian Allen readies to take over at center, Goff and McVay talk transition