Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wildflecken’s Random Thoughts on Rams Offseason Prior to Draft...

March 24, 2019 05:09AM
Here’s Wildflecken...

1.) This is a very important offseason for the Rams and Les Snead is certainly taking full advantage of the Rams newfound preferred destination amongst the leagues veteran talent. Both Mathews and Weddle may of lost a half step athletically but both are talents whose veteran savvy should more than compensate here.

Both are great fits in a Wade Phillips defense, especially at this stage of Wade's career. Adding veteran talent like Weddle and Mathews should make the communication issues the Rams defense struggled with for much of 2018 a non factor next season with the result being a defense that gels much sooner in 2019. The Rams will need to field a much stouter defense during the 2019 season than they did in 2018 for any shot at repeating as NFC Conference Champions.

2.) These signings, along with the return of Dante Fowler and Malcolm Brown, give the Rams a lot of options in the upcoming draft.

Teams get in trouble when they reach in the draft, usually do to needs they perceive to be so dire they end up incorporating the weight of the need into their selections. The fact the Rams success the last two seasons does not appear to have affected Les Snead's core philosophies bodes very well for the Rams goal of building a dynasty.

Teams whose fortunes took a sharp turn downward after short lived success can often be attributed to the overweighting of a need. These signings all but ensure the Rams will not have to reach for need in the upcoming draft.

Rather they can be patient and let the board fall to them, feeding off the mistakes made prior to the time the Rams make their first selection. They are well positioned to pounce if a talent they have a top 10 or 15 grade on falls and well positioned if one does not, opening up the possibility of selling the value of the 5th year option associated with round one picks and trading out of 31 to pick up an additional premium pick in round 2 or 3.

3.) I Love the Blake Bortles signing. This is a Les Snead specialty, obtaining former day one choices who fell out of favor with drafting organization.

Bortles may end up being Les Sneads most important signing this offseason. Surrounding Bortles with talent at the skill positions or the protection one would believe such a high round talent would warrant was never a priority in Jacksonville. My first thought when I heard Jax had released Bortles, Jim Plunkett, Long before I knew Rams had interest.

Like Plunkett, Bortles is a gamer, unfazed by the immense pressure brought by the intense media scrutiny. His teammates never wavered in their support, maybe the best barometer of all regarding leadership. I have a hunch Sean McVay is going to love working with Blake Bortles.

4.) I will be watching closely how Rams address the offensive line in the draft and what type of talents they target. It should provide a lot of insight regarding their plans for Noteboom, Allen and other depth players at the position.

I am not with the majority here in that Noteboom should transition to LOG. Not if Kromer and company do believe he is the future at LOT. I would much rather see him continue to develop behind one of the all time bests in Whitworth

Allen's height had him completely off many teams boards last draft but his game tape certainly was impressive, even more so in that he played in a pro set and on a line that gave the NFL Conklin etc..

I understand the huge hole created by the departure of Saffold, but would love to see the Rams finally add the road grader at ROG this roster has been lacking.

Hoping Rams come out of this draft with a minimum of two lineman.

5.) Think Micah Kiser will see time as a starter at ILB in 2019 and Rams will love the thump he adds to the run defense. Wades sub packages are the answer here in obvious passing situations.
JFM is another name who I believe will see a large increase in his role in 2019. I stated last season I believe he is a future pro bowler and nothing from his 2018 performance has changed my view on this. Think he plays a vital role this season

6. I will end with the name Irv Smith. If he is on board at 31, think Rams should pounce.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Wildflecken’s Random Thoughts on Rams Offseason Prior to Draft...

Rams43606March 24, 2019 05:09AM

Re: Wildflecken’s Random Thoughts on Rams Offseason Prior to Draft...

Steve215March 24, 2019 06:51AM

Re: Wildflecken’s Random Thoughts on Rams Offseason Prior to Draft...

David Deacon201March 24, 2019 08:46AM

I don't buy this idea that Noteboom is not built to play guard

zn211March 24, 2019 09:37AM

Re: +1....

dzrams171March 24, 2019 11:34AM

+1...

LMU93123March 24, 2019 01:38PM

Boom has nifty feet for a ZR scheme...where OL are agile...

SunTzu_vs_Camus91March 24, 2019 04:54PM