Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Jared Goff Isn’t ‘Just’ a System QB

January 20, 2019 06:21AM
Every QB is a systems QB to some extent. It takes a good offensive system and a good supporting cast for a QB to be successful. Teams that have really good quarterbacks take steps to surround them with good talent and run good offensive systems. Put Tom Brady in Jeff Fishers offensive scheme with a mediocre line and below average receivers and he will be a very average QB. But in NE they build their team around him and have a great offensive scheme.

Goff is in a really good system and has great talent around him. But he still has to play the position really well. Everyone on the board knows that if we put Mannion the results would be much different and nowhere near as good. I think that McVay has done a great job of developing talent and he has an extreme focus on doing everything possible to put Goff in a good position to be successful. QB is the hardest position to master and great coaching focuses on making the QB position successful especially with a young QB. Look at Mahomes or Wentz who have had success. Just like Goff they have great coaching, great offensive scheme and great talent surrounding them. Even Brees has a great offensive coach and great talent around him.

So why is Goff different viewed as different than these other QB? Many say it is the dramatic transformation from year 1 to year 2. I think the real factors are 1. Natural growth and the transition from a spread offense to a pro style offense. 2. Going from poor coaching and a poor offensive scheme to great coaching and a great offensive scheme. 3. Talent surrounding the QB at WR and the offensive line greatly improved. Does that make him a system QB? I don’t think so at all. He is a great young QB prospect that is still maturing and has already reached Pro Bowl level play for 2 years. Trust me almost every team in the league would like to have Goff at QB right now.

Finding a Franchise QB is the hardest thing to do in the NFL and you wonder why more teams are not doing everything possible to make their young quarterbacks successful. I see some who seem to suggest that there is a question of whether to sign Goff to a market based contract when he reaches free agency. There is not question that the Rams will resign him. We were just searching for 15 years to find a Franchise QB and now that we have one we are going to keep him. Even is some uninformed commentators still view him as a system QB.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Jared Goff Isn’t ‘Just’ a System QB

RamBill268January 20, 2019 05:48AM

David Deacon87January 20, 2019 06:21AM

Some Pressure on Goff Today (Nick Wright)

den-the-coach88January 20, 2019 06:35AM

+1 (nm)

AlbaNY_Ram81January 20, 2019 06:43AM

moklerman69January 20, 2019 09:07AM

Do you really think it's fair.....

RamBill119January 20, 2019 09:24AM

Re: Do you really think it's fair.....

moklerman60January 20, 2019 09:31AM

RamBill92January 20, 2019 09:38AM