Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay– December 13, 2018

December 14, 2018 10:05AM
EXCLUSIVE! Bill Bellicheat was asked the same questions as McVay as if he was the Rams HC. Compare and contrast his answers.

RamsFootballFans.com
TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips and Running Back Todd Gurley II – Media Availability – December 13, 2018

Rams Head Coach Sean McVay – Media Availability – December 13, 2018

(On what characteristics the team has that allows them to have such great resilience to bounce back from a bad series or tough defeat)
McVay's answer:
"I think it's what you just mentioned – mentally tough guys. We do have a resilient team that has the ability to respond. I think any time that you do have those setbacks, you want to look at what are the reasons why and be solution-oriented. I think that's what allows our guys to just continue to respond – that's whether it's good or bad. We want to be consistent in our approach, but we've got the right types of guys in that locker room, guys that you believe in that are great people. They're obviously extremely talented. Certainly, I think any time that you have a little bit of a setback, you get a great chance to respond and so far, we're on track to do that."

Bellicheat's answer:
We have good players.

(On whether the report that Eagles QB Carson Wentz is suffering from a fractured vertebrae changes how he starts preparing for Philadelphia)
McVay's answer:
"They haven't officially ruled him out, so you can't say anything for certain. You see and hear the reports that are out there. But like we've said, whether it's (Eagles Qcool smiley Carson (Wentz) or whether it's (Eagles Qcool smiley Nick Foles, doesn't really change our approach or our urgency for us to be able to get ready to go against the defending world champs."

Bellicheat's answer:
No.

(On if there is anything tangible that he's been able to do this season to perform better in home games.)
McVay's answer:
"I think the crowds have been outstanding. I know our guys feel good about playing in that atmosphere, that environment, so that's certainly been a positive. But, I think, when you look at it, a lot can be made – it does make a difference in terms of if you travel on a Friday or you're going from the West to the East Coast and things like that because you have to alter the schedule. But, to use that as an excuse to play good or to play bad, I don't think – we don't really look at it like that. I think to say that we didn't play as well at the Coliseum last year as we did on the road, I know the record indicated that, but we played some pretty tough teams here. You go toe-to-toe with ‘Philly’ (Philadelphia Eagles) who ends up winning the Super Bowl. We had a great game with the (New Orleans) Saints here where we were able to come away with a win after, I want to say, they were on an eight-game win streak at that point. Then, we didn't get it done on a couple instances, but I think for the most part, you want to try to be consistent with the way that you play away and at home. You love not having to travel and being in front of your home crowd is something that we always would prefer and we love that."

Bellicheat's answer:
No.

(On if being hard on himself about recent gameplans is a matter of getting back to some of the things he does or if it's a matter of advancing some of the things that he has in his repertoire)
McVay's answer:
"Sure, that's a good question. I think, really, what it boils down to is not really having to change because you've got an inventory of things that you can present, but it's activating the right types of things at the right times and then having answers for what a defense might present based on the circumstance, the situation. Then, also, the main thing that I felt like I could've done a much better job of was just having a feel for the flow of the game. Not exclusive to just the way our offense is playing against their defense, but the way that our defense was playing, getting some takeaways. Those are the types of things that you expect to do a better job from and you look inward and you try to make sure that you don't make some of the same mistakes. One of the things about this league and specifically being in this role that's humbling, but it's such a great challenge that you love getting up and trying to get better every single day, is that you learn all the time. When you get a chance to talk to some of these great coaches that have been doing it for a lot longer than I have, that learning process is never ending, it's ongoing. But that's where you appreciate and value what experience does for you if you're able to look at it the right way. That's something that I try to take to heart and I know our whole staff feels the same way."

Bellicheat's answer:
Neither.

(On how they got back into the flow of the game against the Eagles last season despite running significantly less offensive plays than Philadelphia)
McVay's answer:
"It was a back-and-forth where they had a lot of plays, they did a great job sustaining drives. They were really efficient on third down. Then for us, we ended up getting the blocked punt for a touchdown. We were able to get some short-field scores, got a turnover right away where (former Ccool smiley Kayvon Webster ended up getting a pick. So, there were some things where we had some short fields and guys were able to capitalize on that where it was 35-34 late into the fourth quarter. But, they did a great job. They certainly had a lot more snaps. Certain times, it's one thing if you're not able to get into any sort of rhythm offensively, it's another thing if special teams scores, you're getting a turnover and then you're able to turn that into a touchdown, you're getting some explosives. We were able to do that right from the jump when we get the turnover on the first series. (Rcool smiley Todd (Gurley II) ends up popping a long run on the second play and then we ended up punching it in a couple plays later. Each game kind of presents a new deal, but you certainly would prefer not to play that many snaps on defense. Then, when you're able to sustain drives and control it, that's always a positive thing, but ultimately, it's about the score and finding ways from an offensive standpoint of scoring and being productive in that manner."

Bellicheat's answer:
We just played better.

(On his philosophy on timeouts and the fine line between getting it right in a particular scenario as opposed to saving the timeouts for a scenario that might not occur)
McVay's answer:
"There's a couple instances, specific to the other night. Really, there's some elements, but man, however you want to cut it, it's an excuse. But really, what you do is you decide, ‘Okay, in the situation, where we're at on the field, if there's points to be had, you can’t afford to take a five-yard loss if you take a delay or you don't want to waste a play call.’ So, that was kind of where we were at with a couple of those. That's where just continuing to do a better job dealing with some of the atmospheres, the elements when you're on the road, maybe they can't hear you – but it can't happen. It's something that I haven't done a very good job of these first two years, but I would say that it is a balance and most importantly, if you feel like there's a situation where there's points to be had, you go ahead and use it because you can't take them into the half and you can't take them after the game either. That's kind of our approach."

Bellicheat's answer:
I use 'em when I think I need to.

(On three receiver sets becoming so en vogue across the league and how important the slot cornerback position is and how big is it to have a player like CB Nickell Robey-Coleman that they trust)
McVay's answer:
"It's huge and, really, a lot of it is predicated on defensively, do you want match personnel groups or do you want to present a certain defensive structure regardless of what that offensive is presenting? In a lot of instances, most teams aren't matching, not everybody really. But for us, (Ccool smiley Nickell's (Robey-Coleman) been an instrumental part of our defense. I think in terms of just an aware, savvy player, great competitor. His ability to read and recognize things, play with the techniques and then you just see him, he makes a pick last week. He's consistently a great example of what it looks like to tackle the right way in the open field. He's got a great play energy about himself, similar to some other players on our defense. He's done a great job just continuing to get better and you love being around guys like Nickell."

Bellicheat's answer:
The slot corner has always been important.

(On if he evaluates QB Jared Goff's performance against Detroit in a different entity than Chicago or if he will go over with Goff how he's played collectively the last two games)
McVay's answer:
"Really, I think especially from the quarterback position, it's stacking good decisions on top of one another. In a lot of instances, he's got great accuracy, great anticipation, but it's continuing to learn. Just like me from the standpoint of calling plays or him from going through the execution of the plays versus some defensive looks that may or may of been similar to what we've seen in the past, you use those as a learning opportunity. The defense has made some plays, but I think the best part about (Qcool smiley Jared (Goff) is how coachable he is, how receptive he is. He doesn't let a bad play affect him and really, they are all separate entities. It's not exclusive to, 'Okay, the Detroit and the Chicago game.' You look at the entirety of the game just based on the nature of we're in a results driven business. But when you're really looking at it, you're looking at okay, 'Within the framework of some of these early down plays, what led to us being productive? Or something that we can maybe do better?' And some of these other situations, really like the other night, ‘What's the best play right there? It's throwing it away because it's the only play, because they gave you a dead play.’ That's something that we can learn from, but we definitely approach it as each play is it's own entity, when you look at the entirety of the 13 games that we've played up to this point. That's why you don't let a few plays dictate how you determine the way he's played. He's done too many good things to let a few plays shape – and it could be the vise versa if you're a guy that hasn't had a great season – which is not what Jared's done. And then you make a couple plays, does that totally change the dynamic the way that you evaluate somebody? So, we look at the entirety of it, but specific to that, I think there's so many things involved in the quarterback position that these guys have to do down in and down out that to just lump one game in would not be fair to him and what he's done a really good job of this year with."

Bellicheat's answer:
Goff didn't play well.

"He who knows all the answers has not been asked all the questions."
- Confucius

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
- Patrick Rothfuss

"With age comes wisdom, but sometimes age comes alone."
- Oscar Wilde
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay– December 13, 2018

RamsFootballFans.com229December 14, 2018 12:20AM

Classicalwit98December 14, 2018 04:28AM

RamsFanSinceLA91December 14, 2018 10:05AM