Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Yeah, kind of.

October 17, 2018 08:18AM
I mean, I don't want to tell anyone how to be a fan. Different fans enjoy the ride differently.

For many fans, key components of enjoying the ride include A) analysis and cool smiley projections into the future.

I have zero problems with either. I am pretty analytical myself. On the other hand, I don't tend to make serious projections--I've been burned so many times I don't bother any more.

My point here isn't about WHETHER fans analyze or project. It's rather about doing both on the basis of untrustworthy evidence. And the fact this leads to wildly gyrating assessments and predictions.

And fans do this in every sport and around the world. It isn't just us. There is SUCH a tendency for teams' stocks to shoot way up and drop off cliffs on the basis of a couple games. And, people don't seem to take into account the profound complexity of competition--the massive number of variables and the inevitably cyclical nature of teams' performance levels. Only really extensive sample sizes can begin to trace the persistent trends among the noise.

You know, the stock market metaphor is apt here, because the same thing seems to happen on Wall Street.

Let me repeat: I am not here to tell anyone how to follow the Rams. I simply offer some advice: if you are going to analyze and predict, look past the last 2 weeks and understand that every team rises and falls in a season!
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

My probably tiresome hobby horse: the folly of short term projection

RFL191October 17, 2018 07:55AM

So, what you're saying is.....

NewMexicoRam108October 17, 2018 08:07AM

Yeah, kind of.

RFL66October 17, 2018 08:18AM

If I had to put all my eggs in one basket...

JamesJM101October 17, 2018 08:23AM

Agreed!

RFL69October 17, 2018 08:37AM

Oh sure, I understood you...

JamesJM68October 17, 2018 08:43AM