Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I have to disagree about his self-criticism

October 15, 2018 04:18AM
AlbaNY_Ram
I would love it if the Rams got better at scoring TDs in the redzone.

I personally don't know what the problem is: play calling? personnel? execution? Or maybe it's as simple as my expectations not being realistic. In any event what McVay says in a post game presser isn't relevant simply because he would say exactly the same thing no matter what the real issue is. In other words, it means nothing,

I don't agree old friend. He's not being accountable if it's just a thing he does no matter what. The players would know whether he was really being self-critical or not, and if it's all just a generality then it's not real. Which undermines his own idea that genuine accountibility starts with the coach.

My take is that when McV gets very specific and detailed about a self-criticism, it's real. When he is more general, sure he's doing the "it starts with the coaches" generalization.

Compare these 2 statements.

Rams Head Coach Sean McVay – October 8, 2018

(On how concerned, if at all, he is about the run defense the past couple weeks)

“I wouldn’t say you’re concerned. I think we need to address some different things and there’s a reason why each one of those runs popped out. I thought there was also some great individual efforts by their running backs, (Seahawks RBs Mike) Davis and (Chris) Carson, both ran really hard. What we’re encouraged about as you watch it as a staff are they’re very fixable things. When you just look at whether it’s losing some gap integrity, playing around a block. Then, you’ve also got to give those guys some credit. But, there was the one third-down run that popped out where we were in a different front and those are things that are great for us as coaches to look at ourselves and say, ‘Alright, what can we do to potentially to avoid this in a situation where they’re checking to some of these runs based on a defensive structure.’ and you get a chance to learn from it. But, I think our players will respond the right way. Really, for us as coaches, that’s the beauty of this is being able to look at the film, correct and you move forward.”

Yes he partly puts some aspects of that on the coaches, but he identifies the major issue as gap discipline, and that's on the players.

Now this. And unfortunately, at this point we don;t have a transcript yet from last night's presser, but we do have reporters who were present reporting on what he says.

from Vincent Bonsignore, Sean McVay’s harsh self-critique reveals just how accountable Rams really are: [theathletic.com]

“I thought I put us in some horrible spots throughout the game [by] really getting impatient, forcing things that weren’t there,” McVay said. “The players bailed me out finding a way to get a win.”

The way he sees it, he got a little too cute and a tad too aggressive on a couple of early red-zone trips that resulted in field goals instead of touchdowns and turned a potential blowout into an eventual nail biter.
And as the Rams’ play caller, the blame falls squarely on his shoulders.
“The cold didn’t really dictate the play selection,” McVay muttered afterward. “If anything, the cold might have just affected my brain with some of the decisions I made.”

The play calling did seem a bit curious considering the Broncos opted to over-defense Jared Goff and the passing game while blanketing the second and third levels and bringing plenty of heat with the pass rush duo of Bradley Chubb and Von Miller.
The Broncos did so knowing full well it might mean Gurley going off.
“Today, that was kind of part of our game plan, try to make them run the ball, really,” Broncos cornerback Chris Harris said. “Their offense has been putting up 40 points per game, so we just tried to figure out a way to slow them down.”

But McVay got away from the run game at times. He admits it probably cost the Rams.
“The players will look at themselves as well, but there was a handful of plays that I really thought I didn’t do a very good job for us today,” McVay said.

“I think that’s where I’m most bothered is because of the decisions where I put our guys in those spots where you can stay ahead of the chains,” he said. “Some of those third downs or even the two-minute at the end of the half, I thought I did a poor job of running plays that give us the best chance to execute. That’s something I’ve got to do a much better job of.
“Fortunately, with the way the team and the players played, coaches doing a good job, you can learn being able to win in a tough atmosphere on the road. Those are some things that you can’t wait to go back, look at the tape and think about why some of the decisions were made.”

He prides himself on being accountable and on the idea that it starts at the top.

That doesn't mean anything if he just does it as this automatic thing that's not real. It's not real if it is TRUE that we can dismiss any McVay self-criticism because "he just does that" (that's not a quote of anyone just a general paraphrase).

But that's not what I hear from him. When he focuses on a real self-criticism, he drives it home. It isn't just "oh he just does that" and so dismissable and therefore not real. I BELIEVE HIM when he says accountability starts with genuine self-criticism. And I think it DOESN'T all reduce to this generic "well he just does that" kind of stuff, which would mean it;s NOT real.

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Sean McVay Postgame Press Conference

Speed_Kills775October 14, 2018 05:55PM

Re: Sean McVay Postgame Press Conference

Rams43273October 14, 2018 06:00PM

stlrams13236October 14, 2018 06:02PM

73Ram216October 14, 2018 06:13PM

Re: Does it get old when McVay says it? Nm

Speed_Kills179October 14, 2018 06:14PM

I've noticed this year the HC doesn't seem to