Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Backup QB

August 31, 2018 05:16AM
Ok -- I expect to get beat up over this, but here's what I think:

Firstly, for reasons we all find unfathomable, Sean McVay seems to trust in Sean Mannion. So I think the odds are the Rams just stand pat.

However, if I were calling the shots, I'd take a very serious look at Austin Davis, who's likely getting cut loose by Seattle after they sent a draft pick to GB for Brett Hundley. Unless the 'Hawks plan on keeping 3 QBs on the active roster, the Rams should be able to sign him without compensation. I would consider Davis a clear upgrade over Mannion: he's actually started and WON games in the NFL and at 29 years old could potentially back-up Goff for several years. He's got enough wiggle and improv ability to make plays off script, which I think is essential for a backup QB (unless one of the heir-apparent type). I think the Rams would remain very competative with Davis if Goff missed games. Finally, according to all I've read he's of good character and would never be a locker cancer or distraction.

I don't consider either Allen or Perez suitable backups this year, though they may be worth looking over again next summer.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Backup QB

SalsaRama384August 31, 2018 05:16AM

Re: Backup QB

SB34RAMS1190August 31, 2018 05:49AM

Re: Backup QB

RAMSINCE ARNETT200August 31, 2018 06:06AM

Keenum and Davis were both cut by FISHER

RAMSINCE ARNETT154August 31, 2018 06:27AM