Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mixed feelings about it. But starters need to play some in the preseason.

August 20, 2018 05:46AM
I have no problem with the idea of starters not playing in games 1 and 2.

But what with the limited practice and hitting time in the NFL during Training Camp, preseason games need to be utilized. Especially for the 2nd and 3rd string guys who need the playing time to develop and show their stuff, and for the coaches to sort them out in actual games. So giving them lots of time in the preseason helps with that.

To me, I play the starters for a full half in game 3, maybe even a series after the half to get back into the mode of playing, then halftime, then playing again. And then depending on how they do, they may play some in game 4 or not at all. If they are all out of sync on offense or defense, then they play some in game 4....maybe a quarter.

I think some has to do with who the opposing team puts on the field. If the opposing team puts out 2nd stringers, beware. Get your 1st team off the field.Too many guys trying to make names for themselves in order to make the roster; guys who could do dumb stuff and hurt somebody in the process (I saw a bunch of that in week 2). First stringers are simply trying to hone their skills, get in sync, and stay healthy. They have nothing to prove.

I like the idea of game 3 potentially being the ONLY game the starters play in because it limits exposure to injury, and because should a few guys get dinged up in game 3 they have 2 weeks to get well. And, for those who came out healthy, they have a week to get their bodies fully rested and to game plan for game 1 of the regular season.

All that said, you can't over protect your players because then you can instill an overly cautious mindset. This is violent game and I don't think it is worth second guessing about a guy getting hurt in the preseason.

I think McVay has a good handle on it. He's seen it all his life and he's a smart guy. You can be too macho (like that idiot Bellicheat playing Tom Brady so much in game 2........all because it was Philly), and you can be too timid.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Four reasons why the Rams are not playing starters in preseason...

jemach565August 20, 2018 03:12AM

Re: i have no issues not playing starters...

spagsbacker217August 20, 2018 04:35AM

I agree. Preseason games were NEEDED maybe 30 years ago.

Ramgator229August 20, 2018 04:51AM

Even when teams do play stars multiple quarters in preseason...

Ramgator218August 20, 2018 04:55AM

Mixed feelings about it. But starters need to play some in the preseason.

RockRam182August 20, 2018 05:46AM

Re: Mixed feelings about it. But starters need to play some in the preseason.

oldmanram205August 20, 2018 10:06AM