Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPTS: Rams HC McVay, QB Goff, RB Gurley II – August 13, 2018

August 14, 2018 12:18AM

Rams Head Coach Sean McVay – Media Availability – August 13, 2018

(On any update on DT Aaron Donald’s situation)

“No. I’ve seen a lot of reports out there, but that’s news to us. So, no news on that front for us. Same thing as just the dialogue, but as far as anything that’s changed, it hasn’t changed.”

(On the competition to end today’s practice)

“Yeah, really we’ve had a couple good days of work. Really had a couple guys getting banged up at a lot of the same spots. So, little low on the numbers. We felt like if (T) Joe Noteboom was able to field a punt off the JUGS machine we’ll end practice a little early and cancel the meetings tonight with going into a day off. Bounced it off his shoulder pads and made a nice catch right there. So, guys were excited about that and it was a good couple days worth of energy and a lot of good tape that we can coach off of.”

(On how he has seen T Joseph Noteboom and C Brian Allen come along)

“Yeah, I think anytime where we take these veteran days and we give those senior-laden players on that left side some rest, it’s a good opportunity for those guys to step up. I also think it’s a reflection of (Run Game Coordinator) Coach (Aaron) Kromer’s leadership. Watching the development, the growth that these guys have displayed in a short amount of time with us – lot of positive things. A lot of things these guys are doing – moving around, different spots. So much involved in the communication and the different combinations up front in the run game and protections. I think they’re doing a really nice job handling it and we expect them to continue to take steps in the right direction.”

(On if he has made a decision if starters will play on Saturday)

“You know what, we really are kind of figuring it out. We got this day off and then Wednesday is going to provide us a good opportunity to see how that practice comes out. We’ll have that plan a little bit later on with these guys.”

(On QB Jared Goff)

“Yeah, I know (Qcool smiley Jared (Goff). Jared’s always going to want to play and the nice thing is that’s what the great competitors want to do. He wants to get out there and stuff like that. But, like we said, there’s a lot of layers to it. We’ll see how Wednesday goes and kind of how that approach is, the way we wrap up camp on Thursday and then going into that game on Saturday.”

(On the progression of DL John Franklin-Myers so far)

“He’s done a really good job. I think you’re seeing a guy that’s got a natural rush ability. We’ve talked about it, from the very early stages of him being here, he was a guys that kind of showed up. He was always in the backfield disrupting things, especially in those passing situations. He had a couple great plays here in the red zone based on if he was involved in some coverage or peel responsibilities. Been really impressed with (DL) John (Franklin-Myers). He’s handling things really well. (Defensive Line Coach) Billy Johnson is doing a great job and as is (Defensive Coordinator) Wade (Phillips). We’re happy with him right now.”

(On RB Todd Gurley II’s comment that DT Aaron Donald would mess things up for the offense if he were at camp)

“Absolutely. I think there’s an element of, he’s reigning Defensive Player of the Year because he’s so disruptive and he does so many different things to mess up the flow or the rhythm of an offense. But, that would be a disruption that would be more than welcomed right now.”

Rams Quarterback Jared Goff – Media Availability – August 13, 2018

(On if it’s nice to not have DT Aaron Donald on the other side of the ball to make practice harder for him)

“Yeah, we’ve talked about that for two offseasons now. It’s nice being able to – not nice not having him here – it’s nice being able to get off some good plays and not have to worry about him ruining the play, I think is a better way to put it. Yeah, we miss him and hope he comes back soon.”

(On if he feels like he’ll have enough reps when the regular season comes around if he doesn’t play this weekend)

“Yeah, I don’t know what our plan is yet. But if that were to happen, yeah I think we’ll be ok.”

(On if there is a higher ceiling for the tight ends this season)

“Yeah, well I think you look at (TE) Tyler (Higbee) coming into this system in his second year just like everyone else – definitely, you want to feature him a little bit more and get him more involved and we can get him the ball more and get him some touches that’ll open us up even more and everything we do. Then (TE) Gerald (Everett) and (TE) Temarrick (Hemingway) and so on and so forth, it’s the same way. Gerald’s out right now but look to get him back hopefully pretty soon.”

(On how much CB Marcus Peters and CB Aqib Talib help him become a better quarterback)

“A lot, I talk about this all the time. I think they’ve made us all as a quarterback room a lot better. It’s not just them, but our whole secondary – but those two in particular. You have to be really accurate. If you’re not – if you don’t throw it exactly where you need to, they’ll make you pay and if you’re late, they’ll make you pay. It’s been really good for me personally to grow in that regard as far as accuracy and where I really want to throw it.”

(On T Joseph Noteboom having good form on the punt return)

“Yeah, he caught it. It was good. We were practicing before, I was trying to toss them up in the air to him. He got us out of here, it’s good.”

(On how C Brian Allen feels today)

“He did a good job. I think that was the plan today was to get him some reps in there and with (C) John (Sullivan) sitting today. He did a good job. There were definitely some things as a rookie that you go through, just letting the game slow down a little bit. But he stepped in there, I thought he did a really good job and starting to settle in towards the end of practice.”

Rams Running Back Todd Gurley II – Media Availability – August 13, 2018

(On if he welcomed having a veteran’s day off)

“Yeah, I tried to get him (Head Coach Sean McVay) to let me do something, but they’ll get it out of me on Wednesday for sure.”

(On if he’s looking forward to the final two practices before training camp breaks)

“Oh yeah. You always appreciate the last couple days. Really not too much to complain about right now so you just kind of – life can’t get any better when you break camp.

(On if he’ll be running sprints again before the Raiders game)

“I don’t know. We’ll see, man. (Head) Coach (Sean McVay) will make a decision on that. We’ve just got to go out there during practice and focus on practice. Then, once the game comes, we let coach decide on that.”

(On if he would be ready for the regular season if he only played in the third preseason game versus Houston)

“I would hope so. You’re practicing every day so we get some good reps out here, man. Camp is a long process. I mean it’s always good to go out there and get live game reps, but I think (Head) Coach (Sean McVay) has done a great job of preparing us from OTAs to training camp and just to be ready for the season. Once Week 1 comes around you don’t really have any choice but to be ready.”

(On his impression of RB John Kelly so far)

“Man, he’s a funny dude, man. Love being around him. He’s an explosive back. He can make a lot of plays, man. So, we’re just all out there making each other better, coaching each other up and supporting each other.”

(On if he can sense the competition in the running backs room)

“That’s not in my pay grade.”

(On if people have mistaken him for Los Angeles Chargers RB Melvin Gordon)

“Nah, never.”

(On the challenge it would present if he had to play against a defensive line with DTs Aaron Donald and Ndamukong Suh)

“We definitely wouldn’t run the ball inside. It’d just be like toss-crack schemes and trying to do something to avoid them guys. That’s what’s just special about being on this team. You get to prepare against an interior like no other with (DT Ndamukong) Suh and (DT Aaron Donald) ‘AD’, (DL Michael Brockers) ‘Brock.’ Ready to have (DT Dominique) Easley back – got some young guys. So, those guys are unstoppable players. We were talking about that last night. We were like, ‘Literally if AD was here, like he would eff up the whole practice.’ Because it’s like, you get the handoff and he’s like right there. So, a guy like that you have to sit him back and tell him to tone it down a little bit just so you can get some good reps.”

(On if he appreciates that he gets a couple rest days like today and what it was like appearing in the GQ Magazine)

“Yeah, I mean it feels good to get a vet day. But, you want to be out there with the team because I know how it is when it’s one guy down, especially as a running back. We already don’t have too many. (Rcool smiley Malcolm (Brown) had to carry the load. So, kind of feel bad for those guys, but like I said, Coach (Sean McVay) is definitely going to get it out of me Wednesday. The GQ (Gentleman’s Quarterly) thing was pretty cool, man.”

(On appearing on Family Feud)

“Family Feud – it was fun. I had a great time. It was very fun.”
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

RamsFootballFans.com284August 14, 2018 12:18AM

Re: Loved Gurley's comment about AD.

oldschoolramfan188August 14, 2018 06:50AM