Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPT: Todd Gurley – Training Camp Press Conference – July 25, 2018

July 25, 2018 01:21PM

Rams Running Back Todd Gurley – Training Camp Press Conference – July 25, 2018

(On his feelings the day after extending his contract and making history with his deal)

“I feel good. Just want to thank the Rams, (Owner/Chairman) Mr. (E. Stanley) Kroenke, (General Manager) Les (Snead), (Executive Vice President of Football Operations/Chief Operating Officer) Kevin (Demoff), (Head) Coach (Sean) McVay, everybody that helped me get to this point. But, I really haven’t thought about it too much. Just super excited to be with the Rams for the next six years. Really haven’t soaked it in yet.”

(On if it’s a relief to get the deal done and not have to worry about it this season)

“Yeah, most definitely. Quiet mind. Just go play ball. Obviously, wasn’t thinking about it too much, but super excited that it happened. I’m just happy to be in the position that I’m in right now.”

(On if players reached out to him with phone calls other than only social media)

“Yeah, a lot of guys texted me. Guys from (Falcons Rcool smiley Devonta Freeman to (Steelers WR Antonio Brown) ‘AB’, a lot of guys around the league, (Giants WR) Odell (Beckham Jr.). Everybody is showing their support and it definitely means a lot to get a lot of love and support from your peers around the league. So, a lot of guys definitely hit me up, call or text and congratulated me.”

(On if he’s confident about making a deal now rather than waiting a year to see if the landscape changes)

“I’m just happy we were all able to be on the same page. Just try to get it done now. Like I said, I wasn’t worrying about it too much. The Rams, they just did a phenomenal job on their part of being able to make this all come true for me. So, I’m happy to get it done early, out of the way. Like I said, just play ball from here on.”

(On him changing the benchmark for running backs now and what that means to him)

“I’m just excited to be in the position I’m in. Honestly, I kind of started the first-round stuff over again. Happy to be in this position that I’m in right now. I’m always supporting other running backs. So, I’m always going to support another guy, any other guy. It doesn’t matter a running back, but definitely always going to support the running back to get the good payday. I’m always going to be behind those guys and supporting them.”

(On his new contract potentially adding any pressure)

“No pressure. It’s the same thing I’ve been doing my whole life. You’ve just got to be able to be consistent and keep doing it at a high level. With Coach (Sean) McVay as my coach, all these great weapons around me, I’m fully confident that we can do that for years to come.”

(On whether he’ll be more of a marked man after receiving a new contract)

“Yeah, most definitely, man. Talking to my running back coach from college, he said the exact same thing. You think people know you now, they’re definitely going to definitely know your worth. I’m excited. That’s why I play this game – to go out there try and make plays, put my team in a great position. I’ve got great teammates around me that are going to help me be in that position and I’m going to help them be in a great position as well.”

(On DT Aaron Donald’s situation)

“I don’t know. I really can’t speak on that. I don’t really know the whole situation with that, but obviously we miss the guy. We miss him being here and hope to have him back soon and hopefully stuff gets situated. Definitely one of the great defensive players in this league – the best defensive player in this league. Definitely miss the guy. Can’t wait to have him back here.”

(On whether the team’s core of young players played a role in his decision to sign long term)

“Yeah, man. Obviously, there’s a lot of people coming up on the team. Like I said, the whole Rams organization, they did a great job of just being able to extend me and (WR Brandin) Cooks and working on the ‘AD’ (DT Aaron Donald) thing. It’s always good to keep a good group. We’ve got a good group, a young group. Guys like (TE Tyler) Higbee and (TE) Gerald (Everett) and (Qcool smiley Jared (Goff). We’ve got (WR) Cooper Kupp. (WR) Robert Woods got his deal done last year. Just to be able to be with these guys is phenomenal for me and just the team together.”

(On if he feels he can take more ownership of the offense in year two)

“There’s always areas you can improve on. Just go out there – obviously we start practice tomorrow – get a feel for everything and just look at practice each day. My running back coach, Coach (Skip) Peete, always talks about choosing one thing to get better on or choosing one thing to focus on each day, whether that’s making sure your eyes are right or working on your footwork, ball security. We’re just taking it one day at a time. Try to lead the team and everybody coming together, everybody can be leaders. But definitely, I’ve been a captain the last two years so it’s definitely my position to be able to try to get things going a little more.”

(On what the team learned from last year to help them go even further this year)

“Obviously having the year that we had, having a lot of success, especially on offense, you definitely want to be able to repeat it. Like you said, people are going to be watching out for us. We were the number one offense last year and we’re hoping to repeat it again, but it’s definitely not going to come easy. We know we have to work every day towards it. Adding a guy like (DT Ndamukong) Suh and those guys on defense is incredible. But to add a great receiver as in (Brandin) Cooks, having Robert Woods back and Cooper Kupp – it’s exciting to play with these guys, man. A lot can be accomplished. We know what we have to work on. We just have to take it day-by-day and just keep getting better.”

(On if he’s done the math for how much $60 million can buy him in new shoes)

“Haven’t done the math, but I’m pretty sure I can buy a whole lot of shoes now.”
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

TRANSCRIPT: LA Rams QB Jared Goff Training Camp Press Conference - 7/23

Shaky280July 25, 2018 01:13PM

Shaky196July 25, 2018 01:21PM