Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

NFL not letting Rams use preferred throwback uniforms more often, because it's the NFL

May 12, 2018 02:01AM
NFL not letting Rams use preferred throwback uniforms more often, because it's the NFL
Link

Frank Schwab
Shutdown CornerMay 11, 2018, 11:28 AM

The NFL isn’t exactly progressive in many areas. It took decades for the league to realize that touchdown celebrations aren’t the end of civilization.

The NFL’s inflexibility might be at its worst when it comes to uniforms. An NFL team changing its uniforms is a multi-year task, and in the case of the Los Angeles Rams, not much leeway is given.

Here’s the Rams’ issue: They aren’t fond of their current uniform scheme, including the navy uniforms that everyone seems to hate, and they want to more often wear the blue-and-yellow Eric Dickerson-era kits from the 1980s and 1990s. They won a Super Bowl wearing those uniforms. They’re more meaningful to the fans in Los Angeles, because the Rams wore that getup before they left for St. Louis after the 1994 season. There’s a connection to those uniforms that there clearly isn’t for the St. Louis-era garb.

But, nope. According to the Los Angeles Times, the NFL hasn’t yet allowed the Rams to use the throwbacks as their primary uniform because … well, who knows. The Times reported that the Rams are talking to the league about wearing the blue-and-yellow uniforms more often. The fans want them, but the league limits those uniforms to two “throwback” games.

Los Angeles Rams receiver Pharaoh Cooper in the blue-and-yellow uniform the team wants to wear more often in 2018. (AP)

Rams echoed fans’ feelings to league

The Times wrote that the Rams requested to the NFL last season that they be allowed to wear the throwback look in Week 6 against Jacksonville and in a wild-card playoff game against Atlanta, and the team was denied both requests.

“We have spent the year educating [the NFL] on our fan base,” Rams chief operating officer and vice president for football operations Kevin Demoff told the Los Angeles Times. “We forwarded them all of the fan complaints, the emails we get, so I think they’re well aware of our fans’ preferences.”

There aren’t many situations on the schedule in which the team would have to wear the navy jerseys it apparently hates. Demoff looked at the schedule and found no situation in which the team would have to wear dark jerseys on the road (“If we can avoid wearing our Navy jerseys next year, we will,” he told the Los Angeles Times).
Rams’ rebranding efforts continue

The Rams are in the process of a uniform overhaul, but that won’t happen until 2019 or 2020 the Times reported. The team originally wanted to unveil new uniforms with the anticipated 2019 opening of its new stadium in Inglewood, but the opening of the new home was delayed a year, which also might change the release of the uniform rebrand.

In the meantime, the Rams will keep trying to get the league to let it wear the blue and yellow more often, which everyone seems to want.

“It was always with the idea that we’d be able to revisit it during the offseason when there’s more time to plan,” Demoff told the Times. “Hopefully, they recognize the challenge we have and appreciate the connection the fan base has to the blue and yellow.”

#HelmetHornsMatter

“Well, the color is good, I like the metallic blue,” Youngblood recently said while laughing, via NFL Journal. “The horn is terrible. It looks like a ‘C.’ When I first saw it on the logo I honestly thought it was a Charger logo.

“Now when I see it on the helmet, it just isn’t a ram horn. There is no distinct curl like a mature ram horn. I don’t know how the Rams could get that wrong. That is your symbol and it has been for what? Seventy years or more? Longer than I have been alive? It’s just not us, it’s not the Rams.”---Mr. Ram Jack Youngblood

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Ramsdude688May 12, 2018 02:01AM

Once again, a writer misses the mark.

max216May 12, 2018 02:51AM

We can figure this out, can't we?

NewMexicoRam178May 12, 2018 04:45AM

You missed one important detail....

max158May 12, 2018 05:01AM

Yep...

jemach132May 12, 2018 08:21AM

Thats what this is all about....

max136May 12, 2018 10:09AM

I heard the rule is.....

NewMexicoRam175May 13, 2018 01:11PM

Do you actually believe....

max118May 13, 2018 02:14PM

Uniform Changes are explained in the NFL Constitution and Bylaws

MamaRAMa148May 13, 2018 02:27PM

Here's the key statement in the Bylaws...

max94May 13, 2018 02:33PM

Rams messed up they could have petitioned to change 2 years ago

ferragamo79216May 12, 2018 08:40AM

Re: NFL not letting Rams use preferred throwback uniforms more often, because it's the NFL

waterfield135May 12, 2018 01:23PM

LOL

ferragamo79128May 13, 2018 09:04AM