Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How losing Sammy Watkins, Trumaine Johnson will help Rams in 2019 NFL Draft

March 18, 2018 06:29AM
Sorry if this was already posted...

Link

By: Cameron DaSilva | March 14, 2018 8:23 am ET

In less than a day, the Los Angeles Rams watched two of their top young players walk out the door and sign lucrative deals elsewhere. Sammy Watkins began the day by agreeing to a $48 million contract with the Kansas City Chiefs, which will include $30 million.

On Tuesday night, it was reported that Trumaine Johnson will sign with the New York Jets for about $15 million per year. If it’s for exactly $15 million annually, it’ll make him the second-highest paid cornerback in the league. Not bad for someone who just played on the franchise tag in consecutive years.

Both departures hurt the Rams’ overall wealth of talent, but it doesn’t put them in a bad position, per se. They brought in Marcus Peters, Aqib Talib and Sam Shields, while also re-signing Nickell Robey-Coleman to a three-year deal. Clearly, they’re in good shape at cornerback.

At wide receiver, they’re not nearly as deep. Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp will be two of the starters, while Josh Reynolds and Mike Thomas are expected to get chances in the starting lineup, as well. After all, the Rams had three receivers on the field more than any other team in the NFL last season.

So how exactly do these two losses help the Rams in next year’s draft? Compensatory picks, that’s how.

According to Adam Schefter, both players are expected to net the Rams third-round compensatory picks in 2019. Those are selections given to teams who lost notable free agents, coming in at the end of each respective round of the draft.

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter

Rams’ hidden win from this week: losing WR Sammy Watkins and CB Trumaine Johnson are expected to net the Rams two third-round compensatory draft picks.
8:05 AM - Mar 14, 2018

So when you really look at it, the Rams traded a 2018 second-round pick and E.J. Gaines for Sammy Watkins and a third-round pick in 2019. That deal doesn’t look so bad now, does it?

With regards to Johnson, they’re getting a third-round pick in exchange for letting their stud cornerback sign a massive contract elsewhere. After placing the franchise tag on him two consecutive years, it was always unlikely they’d agree to a long-term deal.

Realistically, the Rams could potentially package those two third-round compensatory selections and move back into the second round next year, recouping the selection lost in the Marcus Peters trade. Either way, they’re likely to get two additional selections in the first 100 or so picks.

#HelmetHornsMatter

“Well, the color is good, I like the metallic blue,” Youngblood recently said while laughing, via NFL Journal. “The horn is terrible. It looks like a ‘C.’ When I first saw it on the logo I honestly thought it was a Charger logo.

“Now when I see it on the helmet, it just isn’t a ram horn. There is no distinct curl like a mature ram horn. I don’t know how the Rams could get that wrong. That is your symbol and it has been for what? Seventy years or more? Longer than I have been alive? It’s just not us, it’s not the Rams.”---Mr. Ram Jack Youngblood

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Ramsdude537March 18, 2018 06:29AM

Re: How losing Sammy Watkins, Trumaine Johnson will help Rams in 2019 NFL Draft

LMU93233March 18, 2018 07:47AM

Re: How losing Sammy Watkins, Trumaine Johnson will help Rams in 2019 NFL Draft

Rams43212March 18, 2018 07:56AM

agree - so they would have 3 3rd rounders?

ferragamo79227March 18, 2018 08:35AM

Re: agree - so they would have 3 3rd rounders?

B64 Rams 72240March 18, 2018 08:46AM

Cody Davis? 2 years 5 mil ...

alyoshamucci276March 18, 2018 01:39PM

Re: Cody Davis? 2 years 5 mil ...

The Professor222March 18, 2018 06:07PM