Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Some possible reasons for the slow Ram FA, so far...

March 16, 2018 07:22AM
Take this fwiw, since it’s based on things that I’ve heard and read here and there. From sources I respect, however.

But, here goes...

Rams don’t need all that many FA’s, really. They have few “holes” at starting positions. And the draft will be counted on to fill a couple of them, at least.

I don’t think Wade wanted a Ngata or Poe type NT in the first place. I think he prefers smaller and quicker types. Second tier FA or later in the draft should suit him just fine.

Sounds like they really like Ebukam at one OLB. If so, scratch one OLB starter need off the list.

I suspect that they plan on taking the other needed OLB at #23 in the draft, but Barwin could be Plan B.

Barron just might be Wade’s preference for one ILB. Wouldn’t be my choice, but I’m no future HOF DC, soooo...

Wade historically has utilized ILB’s from deeper in the draft or FA. This draft is reportedly rich in such types later on, so that just might be the Ram plan.

Apparently, they flirted with Eifert. Personally, I’m glad that they were jilted. But it does indicate that McVay is determined to upgrade his TE corps, one way or another. None of us should be surprised by that at all. Stay tuned.

I am still hoping for a Sully signing. He was a top 10 C for us last year, so why not reward the guy with a commensurate contract for a couple of years? Would be difficult to replace his brains and experience. Sigh... Blythe might be an adequate consolation prize, and who knows? They might pluck a C that Kromer really likes in the draft. I’ll feel better once this is settled.

I guess they’re gonna roll with some combo of second tier FA, Reynolds, Thomas, Cooper, or later draft pick to replace Watkins. My money is on Reynolds ( but not very much money).

That’s my take on filling starter “holes”.

So, like I said, three things seem apparent to me.

First, not really that many holes need to be filled, certainly by comparison with last offseason.

Second, they likely prefer to utilize second tier FA’s for new starters and not very many, at that.

Third, the above two probably means that we will see a fairly slow Ram FA period early on, although many more will ultimately come as needed depth is added.

Time for patience, I guess.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Some possible reasons for the slow Ram FA, so far...

Rams43736March 16, 2018 07:22AM

Re: Some possible reasons for the slow Ram FA, so far...

bigjimram21343March 16, 2018 07:56AM

Re: Some possible reasons for the slow Ram FA, so far...

no name193March 16, 2018 07:57AM

perhaps, unless there's a perfect player that fits....

SunTzu_vs_Camus150March 16, 2018 10:51AM

Re: perhaps, unless there's a perfect player that fits....

Rams43111March 16, 2018 11:16AM

Rams still need 4 starters

Speedball89167March 16, 2018 10:56AM

samson ebukam

PHDram183March 16, 2018 11:11AM

Re: samson ebukam

Speedball89178March 16, 2018 11:17AM

Re: Rams still need 4 starters

Rams43158March 16, 2018 11:14AM

Snead created his own FA period...

Rampage2K-135March 16, 2018 12:08PM

Sanders just said the Rams are winning the FA period right now....

Rampage2K-146March 16, 2018 12:18PM