Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I would love to know what McVay really thinks of TE Gerald Everett

March 13, 2018 05:24AM
Was Gerald Everett worth the Rams first pick #44 overall in the 2017 draft?

It’s not secret McVay drafted Everett to be his next, “Jordan Reed” as McVay puts a huge emphasis on using his go to TE in his offense. We know he wants a go to guy at that TE position.

I was skeptical with the Everett pick coming from a small school and I always deemed him as a, “project”, and he’s turning out to be exactly that. Now that McVay has had him in his system for a year, he’s got to have some idea of his future potential. He’s definitely shown some flashes.

It’s possible McVay sees Everett as a breakout player next season and a huge part of the Rams offfense, and just another reason why the Rams weren’t going to overpay Sammy Watkins, who saw limited targets last season without the Rams having a weapon at TE.. It’s also quite possible he’s not sold on Everett at all and is hungry for a TE through free agency or the draft.

I’m a huge Mike Gesicki fan and followed his high school career here in NJ. He will more than likely go in round 2 where Everett did last season. He would be a huge red zone weapon and be ready to contribute immediately IMO. Without a 2nd round pick this scenario seeems unlikely the Rams draft a TE this high again. And if they do, it’s bascially admitting that Gerald Everett was not worth the #44 overall pick last year.

I know lots of people here want the Rams to draft another developmental TE with one of their 6th round picks and with all of those 6th rounders that they have it’s not a bad idea, but the odds of that player turning out to be the Rams future receiving TE stud is highly unlikely. I think McVay wants to fill that role a lot quicker. If so, is Everett ready to breakout? Do they take a chance on a proven FA on a shorter term contract while hoping Everett continues to develop? Do they trade out of round 1 and get another day 2 pick and draft a TE McVay covets? Does McVay see something in Higbee still that many do not?

I think the TE position is one of the more intriguing scenarios surrounding the Rams offense at this moment and something McVay wants to find asap as a huge part of his offense.

Regarding Sammy Watkins, he just wasn’t worth $16 million plus per year in this Rams offense, and once McVay gets what he wants out of his TE (when he finally finds his guy) position, it will only prove it that much more. Not to mention Sammy would probably prefer to be the go to guy elsewhere.

Personally I am not panicking after not re-signing Sammy and really happy with Kupp and Woods as pivotal pieces of the Rams receiving corps. Add in Gurley out of the backfield. Rams just need a decent vertical threat and a stud TE to go along with them and they will be set. My biggest fears have always been the Rams OL and protecting Goff and opening up holes for the run game. Awesome job by the Rams brass bringing in Whitworth and Sullivan last season but we know they were more or less stop gap starters to keep Goff upright for a year or two. Have to start looking for that future left tackle soon.

“The moment we want to believe something, we suddenly see all the arguments for it, and become blind to the arguments against it.”

George Bernard Shaw
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

I would love to know what McVay really thinks of TE Gerald Everett

PaulButcher59530March 13, 2018 05:24AM

I like Everett

Los Angeles Lenny197March 13, 2018 05:27AM

Re: I would love to know what McVay really thinks of TE Gerald Everett

dzrams201March 13, 2018 05:28AM

Rams TEs

LMU93209March 13, 2018 05:46AM

Burton is gone

badgerdms166March 13, 2018 07:18AM

Re: questions questions questions

Speed_Kills184March 13, 2018 05:55AM

Good question. We'll know more after FA and the draft

RockRam285March 13, 2018 06:08AM

Re: Good question. We'll know more after FA and the draft

PaulButcher59183March 13, 2018 07:03AM

Re: I predict same TE crop next year

spagsbacker161March 13, 2018 07:08AM

Re: I predict same TE crop next year

XXXIVwin180March 13, 2018 08:01AM

Don’t go to sleep on Hemingway, fellas...

Rams43169March 13, 2018 07:17AM

Re: I would love to know what McVay really thinks of TE Gerald Everett

badgerdms222March 13, 2018 07:22AM

Re: must know

leafnose316March 13, 2018 08:35AM