Advanced

Since week 5, The NFC West Title has come "Full Circle"

Anonymous User
December 14, 2017 05:44PM
NFL Week 15

Rams at Seahawks

December 17, 2017 CenturyLink Field 4:05 PM EST

"NFC West Title" comes

The top two NFC West contenders meet in a winner take all type of game this Sunday. The different paths these two teams have taken leading up to their second meeting, comes "full circle" this weekend in Seattle.

What a whirl wind it's been this NFL season and the NFC West is about to "reveal" who their best team is.

Suddenly here we are nine weeks later getting ready for the "coveted rematch" between the Rams and Seahawks.

Several fans of both teams believed their second meeting would probably determine the eventual NFC West champions.

This game has been periodically bantered about for nine weeks after their first contest ended when Seattle hung on late to capture a 16-10 victory.

By the new look and upstart Rams losing the first match on their home turf, the perennial NFC West division bullies from Seattle gave them a gut-wrenching dose of reality that the Seahawks are still the big boys of the West until proven different.

McVay's Rams were close to pulling a "rabbit out of the hat" back in October, but no cigars were passed out and moral victories don't count in the NFL division standings.

Are the Rams the better football team now and poised enough to get a victory nine weeks later? Will the Seahawks continue their NFC West dominance and get the season sweep?

Everyone has their own personal perception of how they believe this game will play out, but the truth won't be known until after the final seconds run off the game clock at CenturyLink Field.
Many of us Rams fans probably remember the October loss in week 5 as if it was barely month or so ago.

Regardless of how long ago it feels for us fans, we are the people that cheer for the team with curled white ram horns on their helmet and the pain from that week 5 defeat will never completely leave our memories.

A Rams victory this Sunday would help alleviate much of the painful memories from that October hard fought loss nine weeks ago, and it will surely bring us football joy that can't be totally explained until it actually happens.

As each day passes leading up to the game Sunday, the anticipation and adrenaline will grow stronger and become more magnified. The only thing that most of us will be thinking about, is how important and monumental this next game truly is for us Rams fans.

There is a history of memorable games played between the Seahawks and Rams but this one is the biggest game in the regular season since January 2, 2010.

The Rams lost the division title that day in Seattle 16-6. Both teams finished that season with 7-9 records but the Seahawks won the NFC West that day and the Rams have never sniffed a shot at the division title since.

The winner of this epic 2017 division rematch will very likely be crowned NFC West champions by the new year, and will be hosting a first round playoff game in their home city.

The magnitude and excitement in the regular season of the NFL doesn't get much bigger than this one does until the post season officially begins.

October 8, 2017 NFL Week 5

Seattle 16 Los Angles 10

Click the photo to zoom in and see it with full clarity and, take a good "Look" at Rams head coach Sean McVay's face after time expired during the demoralizing week 5 loss to Seattle in Los Angeles.

McVay was defeated, angry and in his own words "sick" when this game ended.

OCTOBER 8, 2017, 7:45 PM
By Gary Klein

Rams hurt themselves with five turnovers in 16-10 loss to Seahawks

“I’m sick about it,” coach Sean McVay said.

A week after proving they were for real by winning at Dallas, the Rams failed to take the next step — to prove they are a legitimate playoff contender.

A team that was averaging an NFL-best 35.5 points scored only one touchdown, on a 27-yard run by Tavon Austin in the second quarter, and committed five turnovers against their division’s perennial power, wasting a mostly exceptional effort by the Rams’ defense.

They held the Seahawks to one touchdown for the game and just two field goals in the second half — and still came up short. On the opening possession, the Rams thrashed the Seahawks with Gurley runs and Goff passes.

But Seahawks safety Earl Thomas ended the threat and extinguished the Rams’ momentum by knocking the ball out of Gurley’s hand at the one-yard line. The ball hit the end zone pylon for a touchback.

“I’ve got to do a good job of taking care of the ball, no ifs, ands or buts about it,” said Gurley, who rushed for only 43 yards, the first time in three games he was held to fewer than 100.

Gurley’s fumble was one of several oddities in the game, including Rams kicker Greg Zuerlein’s first missed field goal attempt in 16 tries this season. Goff also unexpectedly regressed, at least in terms of turnovers: He had two passes intercepted and also lost a fumble.

McVay said Goff made “a couple uncharacteristic decisions.” Goff, who completed 22 of 47 passes for 288 yards, agreed. “I can be a lot better than I was today,” he said. The Seahawks defense might be aging but it still showed it can unnerve a young quarterback.

“You could see some balls were getting away,” said Seahawks coach Pete Carroll, whose team overcame a 10-0 deficit to improve to 3-2. “I don’t know if that’s because of rush or coverage or not, I just know the ball was not on target.”

The Rams trailed 13-10 in the third quarter but seemed poised to answer with at least a field goal when they drove to the Seahawks’ 15. Lineman Sheldon Richardson, however, intercepted a Goff pass to end the threat.

The Rams threatened again midway through the fourth quarter, but safety Earl Thomas picked off a Goff pass. On the Rams’ next possession, Seahawks end Frank Clark beat stalwart left tackle Andrew Whitworth and stripped Goff for a fumble that Richardson recovered.

The Seahawks led 16-10 when Goff got one last chance with just 1 minute 7 seconds left. He completed a long pass to tight end Tyler Higbee and a mid-range strike to receiver Robert Woods as the Rams drove to the Seahawks’ 20. But his third-down pass into the end zone bounced off Kupp’s hands.

“We’re playing in the NFL,” the rookie Kupp said. “You’re expected to make those plays and my expectations are no different. If I’m putting my hands on the ball, I’ve got to make the play.”

Said Goff: “He ran an incredible route, and I wish I could have put it just that much closer to him.”
[www.latimes.com]

Jared Goff and Russell Wilson sharing respect after their 16-10 game ended

The Rams held the Seahawks to a field goal, giving Seattle a 16-10 lead with 1 minute 12 seconds left.

Goff threw the Rams into the red zone with a completion of 35 yards to tight end Tyler Higbee followed by a 20-yard dart to receiver Robert Woods.

After spiking the ball to stop the clock, Goff's first pass to running back Todd Gurley fell incomplete. His next strike led rookie receiver Cooper Kupp into the end zone, but he couldn't hang on to the ball.

He went back to Kupp on his final throw, but the Seattle defense locked down and the receiver never had a chance.
[www.latimes.com]

How different are the Rams and Seahawks teams "9 weeks" later since their first contest?

There are some significant differences with injuries and other intangibles that die hard fans of both teams know in great detail.

Both teams are coming off emotional "big game" losses last week to the Eagles and Jaguars but in a 16 game NFL season with 3 left to play, there is no time to dwell about what could've or should've happened in those hard fought slug fests.

One of the major differences nine weeks later is that this game will be played in Seattle and for all intensive purposes, the NFC West Crown is on the line.

The winner of this showdown should garner enough momentum to lock up the division title and become a serious contender in the NFC playoffs.

"The best of the NFC West square off in Seattle"

Rams Points Per Game 30.5 Rank #2
Off Pass Yards 252.9 Rank #9
Off Rush Yards 114.7 Rank #14
Off 3rd Down Conversion 42.01% Rank #7

Rams Points Allowed 20.4 Rank #12
Def Pass Yards 218.7 Rank #11
Def Rush Yards 124.1 Rank #28
Def 3rd Down Conversion 38.62% Rank #14

Total Sacks 40.0 Rank #3
Takeaways Fumbles 7 Interceptions 15
Point Differential +131 Rank #2

SeahawksPoints Per Game 24.2 Rank #11
Off Pass Yards 256.2 Rank #7
Off Rush Yards 105.7 Rank #18
Off 3rd Down Conversion 40.00% Rank #13

Seahawks Points Allowed 19.4 Rank #8
Def Pass Yards 226.3 Rank #16
Def Rush Yards 102.8 Rank #8
Def 3rd Down Conversion 38.33% Rank #12

Total Sacks 32 Rank #13
Takeaways Fumbles 10 Interceptions 10
Point Differential +62 Rank #10

Enjoy the game you great loyal Rams fans.

If they win like many of us believe they can, I will be smiling and overcome with excitement like the rest of you.

Go Rams!

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Since week 5, The NFC West Title has come "Full Circle"

Anonymous User945December 14, 2017 05:44PM

another outstanding post!!!

Rampage2K-141December 14, 2017 09:04PM

Awesome report

Speedball89218December 14, 2017 09:55PM

Re: Since week 5, The NFC West Title has come "Full Circle"

laram174December 15, 2017 04:35AM

Since week 5: I want to see the Herd board fired up!

Anonymous User292December 16, 2017 11:07AM

Re: Since week 5: I want to see the Herd board fired up!

Anonymous User118December 16, 2017 11:12AM

Re: Since week 5: I want to see the Herd board fired up!

Anonymous User317December 16, 2017 11:17AM

Re: Another epic "Florida" post

RamsFanSinceLA137December 15, 2017 06:34AM