Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Some random thoughts on the Seahawk game...

October 09, 2017 06:32AM
This will be a strream of consciousness thing... Might be kinda long since I have so much to get off of my chest.

Well, there was plenty of both good news and bad news, huh? Frankly, I’m not all that bummed this morning. The team that deserved to win was the team that won this game. Not necessarily the better team, mind you. Just the team that more deserved to win this particular game. There is a big difference.

Wade seems to have his D clicking now. Six consecutive quality score preventing quarters allowing only 22 total points. And against the Cowboys and the Seahawks, btw. That’s playoff worthy.

McVay has some soul searching to do about the direction of his vaunted O. I’m a huge McVay fan, but c’mon... A total of 10 points? At home? WTF?

Some questions for McVay:

For whatever reasons, this O sputtered yesterday.
Who did Watkins pizz off? One target?
Watkins has caught 14 of 17 targets this season through 5 games. Do the math. That’s a sinful waste of a talented weapon.
Why take either Gurley or Kupp off the field to run Tavon so much? Seems counter intuitive to me.
Please tell me that Tavon will no longer be returning punts. Gawd!
Zero points in the second half? Are you KIDDING me?
Five turnovers went to the Seahawks. Woulda been 6 but Tavon fell on one of his 2 muffs. Geez.
Need to have a conversation with the players about critical penalties, too.
Why did you seemingly abandon the running game in second half? The O became imbalanced too much.
Whatever happened to play design that always seemed to leave one or more receivers open for Goff?

Those above are comments for McVay’s consideration.

Moving on...

McVay was outcoached for the 2nd time this season, the first time was by Gruden. It happens. I’m just mentioning it in passing for those of us that think that McVay can walk on water. Lol.

Goff was off all game long. He just was. This happens to the best of them and yesterday was Goff’s turn in the barrel, I guess.

Gurley’s “pylon fumble”? What a fubar. Maybe Gurley needs to lessen his leaping and stretching tendencies? I’m sure he would have loved a do over there.

Gurley needs to be on the field more, rather than yielding to Tavon so much. Only 43 yards rushing? Seriously? Don’t understand the pulling of Kupp for Tavon, either. McVay’s folly or just plain old stubbornness? Wanting to be too “cute”? Don’t know, but I think it’s a big tactical error on McVay’s fault.

Whit picked a helluva time for his whiff, didn’t he? So frustrating for a great player having a great season. Sigh...

Guess Kromer has some more tweaking to do, huh? Pass pro was mostly okay, but the run blocking needs improvement.

Higbee had a very nice game. Very good to see. Would have loved more Everett, but still...

What’s up with Watkins? Quitting on routes? A #1 WR should be a major part of this O. Even when he’s not open, he’s open. FEED the man! He’s caught 80% of his targets this year, for crying out loud! This is NOT complicated.

Woods is exceeding everybody’s expectations, even those of la, I think.

Where in the world is our red zone scoring? McVay has GOT to get this figured out, and soon. It’s inexplicable for such a creative O mind with so much O talent at his fingertips, if you ask me.

I am of the opinion that that would have required an amazing catch on Kupp’s part to end the game. Others have posted that it is a catch that he should have made. I’ll pay close attention when I rewatch, that’s for sure. For now we’ll have to agree to disagree. But my larger point was that Kupp had a good game and that there was plenty of blame to go around for this loss.

Quinn might be done, fellas. There, I said it. I think that the Rams will be forced to make other plans for his replacement next year. Hard to type those words, but there it is.

John Johnson had a nice debut, huh? Seems to be our future starter at one of the Safety positions. Good news there.

Can’t wait for Joyner’s healthy return. He is needed.

I’m sure coach Fassel is all over the tweaking of his ST units. Gotta minimize those penalties. I hope that he agrees that Tavon is a net liability as a PR. Cooper is having a nice season, though.

Now, just a word about Pete Carroll. He won yesterday and I think that it’s fair to say that he outcoached McVay in the process.

However...

He caught a ton of breaks yesterday that are unlikely to be repeated in the rematch. I mean, it almost seemed like a “deal with the devil” scenario of unusual good fortune that went his way.

The Gurley “pylon fumble”?
GZ missing his first FG of the season, a 36 yarder, at that?
He got 5 Ram turnovers?
His running game was utterly shut down and Wilson was intercepted twice and he still won.
Rams enjoyed statistical advantages all over the place, yet he still won.

Don’t know about you, but I look forward to wiping that gum chewing smirk off his danged face when we meet again.

All in all, I remain optimistic. We’re not “there” yet, but the ingredients are already on this roster for playoff consideration. McVay will tweak his O until it’s consistently efficient. Wade appears to have his D headed in the right direction, for sure. And, of course, I have every confidence in coach Fassel.

You know? I feel better after getting all this off my chest. Lol.

Onward and upward, y’all.

Thanks for reading.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2017 06:35AM by Rams43.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Some random thoughts on the Seahawk game...

Rams43586October 09, 2017 06:32AM

Re: Some random thoughts on the Seahawk game...

CraigMatson163October 09, 2017 06:50AM

Kupp makes that catch...

SunTzu_vs_Camus168October 09, 2017 10:24AM

Re: Kupp makes that catch...

Steve165October 09, 2017 10:33AM

Re: Some random thoughts on the Seahawk game...

SoCalRAMatic184October 16, 2017 09:53AM