Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rams’ defensive competition continues without Aaron Donald

August 31, 2017 07:21PM

By Rich Hammond

GREEN BAY, Wisc. >> There seems to be some drama on the Rams’ defensive line, and of course it is tangentially related to Aaron Donald.

Donald’s contract holdout lasted the entire training camp and preseason schedule, and the Rams took another hit early in camp when lineman Dominique Easley tore an ACL. The Rams expressed confidence in their depth on the line, and it appears as though the competition is ongoing.

Ethan Westbrooks, a top reserve for the Rams last season, had been expected to slide into one of the vacated spots, but it’s notable that while almost all of the Rams’ starters sat out Thursday’s preseason finale against Green Bay, Westbrooks got major playing time.

Even if Donald ends his holdout in time to return for the Rams’ Sept. 10 season opener against Indianapolis, the other end spot remains open next to nose tackle Michael Brockers.

Louis Trinca-Pasat, who started training camp as a backup, entered Thursday’s game in the second quarter. Tanzel Smart, a rookie, also started at end against the Packers.

The 3-4 system of new defensive coordinator Wade Phillips values versatility, and without Donald, the Rams have been searching for the proper fit.

“Anytime that you’re missing one of your great players, you do feel that,” Coach Sean McVay said recently. “But, I think what it’s offered is a unique opportunity for some guys to step up. I think we’ve seen some really good things from a Tanzel Smart that you see him play at the three technique, you see him play at the nose.

“Michael Brockers has taken on that leadership role, which he’s had for the last couple years and I think it gives you a chance to continue to evaluate guys that have been on this roster like an Ethan Westbrooks and a Trinca-Pasat.”

Read Complete Article
[www.dailynews.com]
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

RamBill441August 31, 2017 07:21PM

"the other end" hard for folks to grasp there is one end, not two

Blue and Gold220September 01, 2017 07:39AM