Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Preseason Notebook: Rams Offense Stays Balanced vs. Raiders

August 20, 2017 07:02PM

Myles Simmons

The Rams scored three times in their first four possessions in last night’s preseason victory over the Raiders, using a balanced approach to effectively attack Oakland’s defense.

That started with the ground game, as running back Todd Gurley recorded 38 yards on eight carries — 4.8 yards per attempt.

On one particularly impressive run, Gurley kept his legs moving as his teammates helped push the pile for extra yards.

“I thought that was a great play for us,” McVay said. “Todd did a good job staying up and keeping the pile moving. And then when you look at everybody involved in it, it kind of pushed that scrum for a nine-yard gain when it looked like he was going to get stopped at about one or two yards.

“I thought that was a great example of team football — everybody getting in on it, finishing,” McVay added. “So all the things that we talk about, and then to be able to see something like that show up on the tape is a great example of those guys playing together and finishing.”

Having Gurley be effective kept the Rams out of long down-and-distance situations, which was key for the club’s third-down efficiency. L.A. converted six of its eight third down attempts in the first half with Jared Goff at quarterback.

“It all goes back to being efficient, and being efficient where you have your run-pass-balanced options up in your second downs, and your third downs, if available,” McVay said. “It allows you to present a lot more to the defense and it regulates some of the looks that you’re able to see. And I thought it was a great job by the offense staying in those positive situations to be able to do that.”

McVay has often talked about wanting to marry the run with the pass in order to create the most effective offense. That’s part of why play action is such an important concept within the scheme. Just in last night’s game, for instance, wide receiver Cooper Kupp’s touchdown catch came off of play action. And that was after Gurley had already taken four carries on the eight-play drive.

Read Complete Article
[www.therams.com]
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

RamBill456August 20, 2017 07:02PM