Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Goff now and then

August 20, 2017 02:07PM
No, not last year. All through last year, as Goff's season deteriorated, I kept remembering something: Goff's CAL highlight reel.

Now, as we all know, highlight reels are generally pretty questionable because of their obvious selection bias.

But I have never forgotten a video I saw of Goff's TDs. There were so damn MANY of them! This was not just a dozen nice plays. The reel went on and on, TD after TD. It was astonishing. And in a pretty mediocre program.

And the plays he made. You could see him making the read, releasing the ball really quickly, and hitting guys in windows and on back shoulders and everywhere. I just thought it was really, really impressive.

Then came last year, and everyone said he couldn't make reads and was inaccurate with the ball. And that was true, ...

But then I'd remember that highlight reel. What I had SEEN. And I remained generally pretty hopeful. I could not get myself to believe that he couldn't read defenses and was inaccurate.

But he didn't show it, did he? Only tiny flashes which were generally dropped anyway. Hard to keep the faith.

Last week ... well, there were a couple of nice tosses, especially that out ball for 20 yards. I wondered if maybe we were STARTING to see the guy from the reel?

But the stint was so short. What was it--3 for 4? How can you really tell much?

And like everyone else, I kept waiting. When would the guy from the highlight reel show up? This week?

So I set the DVR to record the NFL channel rebroadcast. I played some golf this morning and then came home and watched.

And I saw Goff hit Kupp downfield. Wide open? Sure! But how often have you seen QBs miss wide open guys? Goff did not miss. And I let out a cheer. Years of waiting to see a Ram QB show something that looked really good. And there it was, damn it! Just a slick, accurate ball and a score.

And then he went out there and moved the ball again, hitting numerous 3rd down conversions. There it was again! The Goff from the highlight reel.

After Todd scored, I actually felt a desire for McV to pull Goff. I mean, 2 great scoring drives. Who wants to wreck that? Let that be enough for PS game 2. Let us enjoy Good Goff for another week and avoid the chance that he goes out and tanks again.

But McV sent him out there and AGAIN he looked great. AGAIN! Oh me of little faith. 3 scoring drives, 3 doses of the guy from the highlight reel.

I don't know what I felt more strongly: sheer pleasure or relief. But for the st time, I thought I was seeing the QB from the highlight reel playing in the NFL.

Can't wait to see more of him!
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Goff now and then

RFL545August 20, 2017 02:07PM

PS ... the Kupp TD

RFL233August 20, 2017 02:30PM

INDEED, RFL!!

SunTzu_vs_Camus203August 20, 2017 02:32PM

zn and I have discussed this...

JamesJM215August 20, 2017 02:54PM

Re: zn and I have discussed this...

zn173August 20, 2017 04:00PM