Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

McVay is winning over Rams players and rivals alike/La Canfora

August 17, 2017 04:19AM
While others focus on age, Sean McVay is winning over Rams players and rivals alike

The youngest coach in NFL history isn't coming off as someone out of his depth -- just the opposite

by Jason La Canfora

IRVINE, Calif. -- Sean McVay has just finished a long and feisty joint practice with the Chargers in his first NFL training camp as the youngest head coach in NFL history, and his team is quietly working on a blockbuster trade for receiver Sammy Watkins during a fairly frenetic time, when he notices a kindred spirit nearby.

McVay, 31, just wrapped up his daily session with Southern California media and moments later he is engaged in an animated conversation with Bob Bradley, one of the most accomplished in managers in American soccer history who led the U.S. Men's National Team to the 2010 World Cup and who just took over MLS expansion team LAFC.
McVay, never one to miss out on an opportunity to chat up another coach and glean whatever he can even from a brief and chance meeting, is always in pursuit of knowledge. He didn't rise through the NFL assistant ranks to become Los Angeles Rams head coach this quickly by not listening closely, by not trying to absorb as much as he could from those successful men he's worked under, by not taking advantage of opportunities that arose.

McVay has pedigree for greatness

While he hasn't yet coached an NFL game, McVay has drawn quite a buzz already around the league. He's something of a phenomenon, a force of coaching nature, who has an innate feel for people and an advance eye for offense. As execs from rival clubs have been around him a bit now, dating back to the spring owner's meetings, he is making a strong impression -- "I kinda wish he wasn't in our division," one exec recently told me, adding, "That guy is a gonna be a stud" -- and he's already won over the Rams' key veterans. McVay can blend the old school philosophies of men like his grandfather, former top NFL exec John McVay, with theories at the vanguard of the modern passing game.

Read Complete Article
[www.cbssports.com]
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

McVay is winning over Rams players and rivals alike/La Canfora

RamBill870August 17, 2017 04:19AM

Simply an outstanding read...

Rams43496August 17, 2017 05:08AM

Re: Simply an outstanding read...

Steve364August 17, 2017 06:34AM

Another proof that McVey is it....

GarlicExile337August 17, 2017 10:31AM

Re: Rams hit the lottery on him (nm)