Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Training Camp Report: Everything You Need to Know From Day 13

August 14, 2017 07:59PM

Kristen Lago

Less than 48 hours after playing in their first preseason game, the Rams were back on the practice field to finish up their last week of training camp at UC Irvine. Following this Saturday’s matchup against the Raiders, Los Angeles will resume training at its regular-season facility at Cal Lutheran.

In this afternoon’s non-padded session, much of the practice was focused on unscripted situational drills and technique. After fumbling the ball six times in the Rams' win over the Cowboys, ball security was one of the main points of emphasis on offense. While on defense, the team centered the majority of its drills on man-coverage and pass deflections.

Here’s everything you need to know from Monday’s practice:

TOP TAKEAWAYS

1. Ball security as a point of focus 

Day 13 of training camp featured a new portion of practice — ball security drills. While preseason football can sometimes be sloppy as teams work out kinks in their systems, Saturday’s fumbles left much to be desired from the Rams’ offense.

Although the preseason opener was Los Angeles’ first taste of live tackling all year, head coach Sean McVay said taking care of the football would be a point of emphasis moving forward.

“When you are able to get tackled with live hits, [the] ball gets a little bit loose when you’re not as conscientious about it,” McVay said after Saturday’s win. “Those are things that I as a coach have to do a better job of finding ways to creatively implement a more structured environment, so that it can be something that we do a better job with.”

Today, the team stressed controlling the ball through a couple of drills aimed at the receivers, tight ends, and running backs. The staff hit the players with a variety of dummies, would-be blocks, and other distractions in an effort to promote ball protection as a necessary skill. The running backs and quarterbacks also participated in exchange drills aimed at reducing the number of fumbles and turnovers.

2. Working in Watkins at wide receiver 

Wide receiver Sammy Watkins made his Rams camp debut this afternoon, taking the field for the first time as a Ram, since he was traded from the Bills last Friday.

The receiver did not fully participate in today’s practice, spending the majority of his time watching from the sidelines. But he did see some action during the position drills and one-on-one sessions. McVay said the staff wanted “to be mindful of his workload” in this first practice, especially with all Watkins has had to deal with in the last week.

“He was going to go through individual, he’s getting some routes right now just to get some timing and get a feel for what’s going on,” McVay said. “But, with all the traveling that he’s done [and] a little jet lag, we’ll start to work him into practice starting tomorrow.”

Although Watkins has yet to fully familiarize himself with the Rams’ offense, he is still expected to play in the team’s second preseason game against the Raiders. After practice, the Rams’ newest wide receiver said that it may take him about “a week and a half to get everything dissected and master the playbook,” but that he will be prepared for “whatever the coaches have for [him]” come Saturday. “I’m just trying to help win games and that’s the main thing. Whatever the coach needs me to do, whatever position, I’m just out here trying to help, learn the playbook and get acclimated,” Watkins said.

While with the Bills, Watkins had 153 career receptions, 2,459 receiving yards and 17 scores in 37 games. Once fully integrated into the Rams’ offense he is expected to provide the team with a dynamic, vertical threat.

Read Complete Article
[www.therams.com]
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Highlights from Monday’s Rams practice

RamBill856August 14, 2017 06:55PM

Quinn

21Dog360August 14, 2017 07:34PM

Re: Quinn

leafnose192August 16, 2017 03:11AM

Re: Quinn

Steve298August 16, 2017 03:14AM

RamBill354August 14, 2017 07:59PM

Sammy Watkins getting solid grasp of Rams' offense 'one day at a time'

RamBill271August 14, 2017 08:01PM

Watkins’ day will come with Rams, but first he must watch and learn

RamBill263August 14, 2017 08:06PM

Rams hope new receiver Sammy Watkins can get up to speed as quick as possible

RamBill249August 14, 2017 08:25PM

should be able to contribute plenty by week 1

LMU93200August 15, 2017 09:10AM

I'm just gonna come out and say it...

Rams43325August 15, 2017 09:25AM

Not sure what McVay is up to with Austin...

JamesJM230August 15, 2017 09:28AM

That's just talk 43

RockRam222August 15, 2017 09:37AM

Re: I'm just gonna come out and say it...

Rampage2K-238August 15, 2017 09:41AM

Rams43206August 15, 2017 10:09AM

Rampage2K-226August 15, 2017 10:44AM

Rams43199August 15, 2017 10:59AM

Rampage2K-227August 15, 2017 11:08AM

Rams43199August 15, 2017 11:24AM

dzrams227August 15, 2017 10:15AM