Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A nice Cowboy game post by MTRamsFan...

August 13, 2017 09:04AM
Here's MTRamsFan...

I think there are a few things to consider. First, the offense is going to take time to gel given all the changes in personnel. Add to this a brand new offensive system being installed. Most coaches will tell you it takes more time for the offense to get all players on the same page versus the defense. If you were to compare the playbooks, offensive playbooks are very large compared to a defensive playbook. Honestly, the offense will need more than the preseason to master the new offense. Hopefully we can sneak a couple early wins in the first 3 weeks of the regular season. I think the defense will keep us close, it's a matter of the offense being efficient.

One big issue which has been mentioned by many was the O-Line play, specifically the right side. Regardless this was the first preseason game, Brown and Havenstein have a ways to go, especially in the run game. Brown looked like he was moving in sand, and got blown up at the point of attack more than once, and Havenstein wasn't much better. Kromer has some work to get them playing at a higher level. I still haven't lost faith these two can get it figured out by Week 1.

We saw this last night, but defenses will continue stacking the box to shut down the run and force Goff to beat them. I thought the pass pro was decent, and if we can stretch the field, defenses will be forced to play straight up which should open the run game. Getting Watkins caught up to speed by Week 1 is going to be huge, and getting Austin back will be big too. These two will allow play calling to go beyond the short to intermediate routes.

A few other offensive concerns. First is ball security. We cannot have guys make a great play only to put the ball on the ground. I'm sure it will be a huge focus this week during practices, and it will get cleaned up. Second, our O-Line depth is not real good. Other than Wichmann and Blythe (after the bad snap), it appeared the other lineman struggled. We need to upgrade the O-line depth through other team cuts.

Some positives with the offense. Kupp and Everett are as advertised. I already knew Kupp's resume having watched him play in college. Everett should be starting over Higbee. Davis is a great change of pace back. He is very illusive, but needs to secure the rock, and become a better blocker in the passing game. I''m sure it all gets corrected. Mannion played well. I know some think he struggled, but the O-Line protection didn't help most times. Some of his bad throws are correctable.

Defense played fast, and rallied to the ball. I can't remember the last time our defense forced 3 three-and-outs in a row. Phillips and Co., have the defense playing hard. Nice to see our secondary not get burned deep and keep everything underneath for short gains. The D-line was strong, and will only get stronger once Quinn gets healthy and the return of AD. Overall, the rookie defensive players played pretty well.

Special teams was very solid. Bones does such a great job. We need to clean up the holding penalties because it just kills momentum when you get backed up to the shadow of your own goalpost. I can't wait to see Shakeir break one to the house.

We should see big improvement between week one and two. Always things to clean up, and get better at. Overall, I was happy with what I saw for their 1st preseason game. They will only continue getting better. Looking forward to seeing Watkins play some next Saturday. Till then... cheers!
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

A nice Cowboy game post by MTRamsFan...

Rams43510August 13, 2017 09:04AM

Re: A nice Cowboy game post by MTRamsFan...

max198August 13, 2017 09:19AM

Right Side Of Line

SoCalRamFan161August 13, 2017 09:31AM

Agree

Ram49123August 13, 2017 09:40AM

play action vs stacking the box

LMU93110August 15, 2017 06:04AM