Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: We're all different, but for me, in those quiet moments of reflection..

June 24, 2017 06:21AM
JamesJM
It all comes down to Goff. I've seen some good from him, some real talent that most don't possess... physically. Game-wise? Not so much. Can't say I'm confident, only hopeful AND... absolutely SURE it's too early to 'make the call'.

Not easing my anxiety in the least is that with a new HC, new system, LOTS of new players, and key players - WR's, TE's, RB's, those he'll work with most closely - I don't think it's going to be all that easy THIS coming year to make a call on Goff one way or the other.

It's possible... if one of two extremes takes place... he lights it up OR he totally collapses... but I'm expecting neither of those things to occur.

With so many years of losing behind us I'm like many in that I don't want to wait another year, or two.... but deep down inside I think it's going to take that.

I don't think the Ram's have any choice but to prepare for the possibility that Goff just ain't gonna be the guy, (not saying he won't). They can't afford two more years of failure and then start again. The minute failure, at the QB position, is determined they have to, or should be able to, move on.

Most here have little to no faith in Mannion. I'm not in that group... although I certainly don't think Mannion has shown he can be the answer they need... I consider him adequate with an upside.

Well, what I'm getting at is: I think the QB position is the biggest concern for the Ram's right now... and preparing for a major move at the QB, to me it seems, has to be at the forefront of planning ahead... contract money invested in supporting players key. Seems to me it could be a factor in the AD situation. - JamesJM

Personally, I think that regardless of how it appears to us how Goff is doing, the coaches have a different view of it. He could look to be struggling to us when they see growing pains in a good player. They may think they are making progress even though some fans are getting impatient. My own view of Goff will depend on how he plays in the clutch, in close game situations where it all gets down to qb play. I count that more heavily that the overall yards per attempt or TDs/INTs etc.

In terms of being prepared to move on, they don;t need to think about that till next off-season.

My view is this. I think Goff, this year, is capable of being at least minimally effective. So what we should expect in 2017 is what we hoped for last year--a team with a strong defense gets enough offense to win games.

Why didn't it happen last year? There are so many reasons I can't isolate one. They compounded one another. So you have an especially green rookie qb on a team with OL issues that can't run because they have OL issues AND RB issues (both) and all of this on the foundation of a team where a new 1st time coordinator installed a new system for the first time in his career, during a move. THEN the defense began to unravel late in games (tired? stretched too thin? lost morale?) It was just an unholy convergence of simultaneous and mutually compounding bad things.

The point of saying that is, I never took Goff playing that poorly last year as a sign of things to come. I took it more as if it's not one thing, it's several dozen others. It was like the famous Nordberg on the boat scene in The Naked Gun, where he steps in a bear trap before burning his hand on a hot stove then falling face first into a cake (that's out of order).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2017 06:24AM by zn.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

We're all different, but for me, in those quiet moments of reflection..

JamesJM736June 24, 2017 06:03AM

zn321June 24, 2017 06:21AM

JamesJM271June 24, 2017 06:36AM

zn365June 24, 2017 07:25AM

Huh? That's worth a penalty flag

NewMexicoRam795June 24, 2017 10:11AM

I still see the Rams' OL as the lynchpin to everything

LMU93234June 24, 2017 06:38AM

Re: I still see the Rams' OL as the lynchpin to everything

Rampage2K-237June 24, 2017 10:07AM

Re: I still see the Rams' OL as the lynchpin to everything

zn196June 24, 2017 10:41AM

Billy_T275June 24, 2017 06:40AM

Strange response, Billy...

JamesJM369June 24, 2017 06:55AM

Re: Was kidding, James.

Billy_T230June 24, 2017 06:58AM

LMU93195June 24, 2017 10:04AM

Yup, the Ram fortunes will rise or fall with those of Jared Goff...

Rams43209June 24, 2017 07:18AM

Goff and Snead

LesBaker210June 24, 2017 07:24AM

Re: Goff and Snead

Rams43258June 24, 2017 07:35AM

We don't know if we have 2 or your 3 either LOL

LesBaker263June 24, 2017 01:14PM

How do you explain the GSOT?

max211June 24, 2017 02:32PM

Re: How do you explain the GSOT?

21Dog278June 25, 2017 05:14AM