Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Um ... no

June 19, 2017 09:00AM
Look. I believe Fisher's crew committed malpractice last year and did a horrendous job of developing Goff. I also like Goff and expect him to do well going forward.

But to try to dismiss last year as if it didn't happen is, IMO, foolish. It happened. He did what he did. Some was good and a lot was bad. Last year was what rookie Goff looked like, left on his own with little help.

And that tells us something. Some of those things are positive. For example, he showed last year the same grit he showed as a freshman on a poor college team. One reason I liked him in the draft was that he had a track record for dealing with a challenging development curve.

But here's the biggest positive. He played games and LEARNED A LOT about the league last year. We have all sorts of reports about how he is more in command, more sure of himself this time because he's been around the block. We have a report today about him picking up this offense readily BECAUSE of a year of experience in the Pro game.

I do not WANT Goff to be a rookie this year. That would mean starting from scratch, and I want to believe he is not doing that, that he can build from a higher level of mastery because of that experience last year.

By all means, attribute many of his struggles to FIsher's bunch of incompetents. I do.

But do NOT call him a rookie. It isn't a good thing.

And even if there were NO positives from last year ... Hey, man, you can't do that. You just can't dismiss seasons or portions of seasons. They all count.

You know, I see this all the time, here and on boards associated with other sports. Fans want to cherry pick and do statistical "splits" which dismiss bad performance under some conditions and affirm good performances in other. "Yeah, you know, if you project from the last 6 games, our Defense would be in the Top 5 ..." Or "Well, Player X had a poor '15 but showed his real talent in a great '14 ..."

You can't do that. It all counts. Goff is not a rookie this year because he played a lot last year.

Now let's hope that McVay's regime supports him in reaching a much higher 2nd year potential.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

I call 2017 Goff's REAL Rookie season.

Ramgator495June 19, 2017 07:30AM

Yeah; last year was like Pre-K.

RockRam290June 19, 2017 07:40AM

but it's not, 2016 was his REAL rookie season

zn242June 19, 2017 08:50AM

Re: but it's not, 2016 was his REAL rookie season

Rams43245June 19, 2017 08:54AM

Um ... no

RFL262June 19, 2017 09:00AM

I'm just being real.