Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

from a prior discussion on this

June 17, 2017 04:49AM
BeachBoy
Gang,

So far, I'm pretty impressed with the new regime. Looks like they have made some good moves to shore up the offence. The one move that surprises me is move Hav to RG and Brown to RT. From what I remember Hav's 1st year was, at least, very solid but he did experience the dreaded sophomore slump.

Haven't noticed any info as to why the made the move. Can anyone enlighten me??

Thnx in advance.

You might find this discussion interesting. Basically your question assumes that moving Hav to guard is a demotion. Not for Kromer. As someone I quote says below, for Kromer guard is the more important position so it's more of a promotion.

Here's the prior discussion I referred to:

Re: how does kromer system "differ" from other systems?
[ramsrule.com]

zn
PHDram
just curious....

First a quote from an article (one of the ones linked below):

In New Orleans...guards are more important than tackles. ... Conventional wisdom no longer applies on the offensive line [when discussing Kromer]

Okay.

So here's a few things on that, in this case as it happens all from his time in Chicago:

[articles.chicagotribune.com]

[dynamic.espn.go.com]

[www.windycitygridiron.com]

Notice that the articles I put up there are from Chicago. There just happened to be a lot of “Kromer’s guards” articles from Chicago. Why so many Chicago articles on this? (And I posted only a few of them).

Because the Chicago football community wanted to know why Kromer was putting Kyle Long at guard, not tackle. According to conventional wisdom, that seemed to mean that Kromer put less value on Long. So a bunch of articles got written about how with Kromer, the conventional wisdom doesn't work, and guard is actually more important than tackle, and he likes certain types at guard. Long fit what he wanted.

Which brings us to the Rams.

Kyle Long is 6.6, 313.

Rob the Hav is 6.7, 321.

So physically anyway, Hav is in the Kyle Long mold.

But they also both share certain traits. Along with big, they're both smart, powerful, aggressive, with solid anchors and great drive blocking instinct and power, and good enough feet do well at pass pro.

Given all that, to me Hav is just a version of Kyle Long west.

PHDram
alot of good info in here on kromer and the line.

thinking about it this was, hav didnt really get a "demotion" at all. rather, it would seem that kromer values him quite a bit by putting him in a position of importance.

also, while the article does not state it specifically, it alludes to a smash-mouth style which i think fits our personnel better. curiusly i believe mcvay utlized a zone blocking scheme in dc so i wonder how the two will mesh. in any event, i think there is alot of potential on this line. hopefully kromer can maximize it.

zn

Kromer has valued guard over tackle going back years, and he has said why. For one thing guards act alone while you can give tackles help. But what he wants is guards who stone pass rushers at the OL (setting up a clean pocket), are powerful so move people out in the run game, and who can pull. He got a lot of flak in Chicago for putting newly drafted Kyle Long at guard not tackle, and in that situation he was very patient and detailed about explaining why he puts top linemen at guard. There's pages of stuff on that. Kromer was very open about it.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

One offseason move still confuses me a bit...

BeachBoy1263June 17, 2017 12:16AM

Re: One offseason move still confuses me a bit...

RamsFanFromRio476June 17, 2017 12:59AM

Killrazor506June 17, 2017 01:20AM

Havenstein

LMU93306June 19, 2017 02:35PM

Re: Havenstein

zn280June 19, 2017 02:39PM

Re: Havenstein...well

RamFire374June 19, 2017 02:46PM

what's interesting to me is the height of interior OL!!!

SunTzu_vs_Camus271June 20, 2017 06:51AM

Rams43413June 17, 2017 04:37AM

guinnessram368June 17, 2017 11:07AM

from a prior discussion on this

zn641June 17, 2017 04:49AM

great research, zn...

SunTzu_vs_Camus293June 20, 2017 06:53AM