Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: what is a "culture change"

June 04, 2017 03:42PM
Rampage2K-
zn
JamesJM
I suspect that in this coming season it won't meet my hopes, (which is .500 or better), due to 'coming together' and some very 'iffy' talent in key positions.

I do consider the 'culture change' significant, however... and vital. It 'could' manifest itself into a season like you're predicting. Lord knows we are LONG overdue for a 'surprise' season... a break-out. - JamesJM

I mean other than the buzz term du jour.

I don't believe the term has any real meaning that isn't covered by other, much more precise terms.

Like "new regime, gotta prove you fit what they want."

Etc."

Obviously I am just being low-level "for conversation's sake" provocative.

This is not a deep challenge and invitation to a board war (I know you know that James, just putting in the useful qualifications.)

Culture is just another term for "way of life" and it's pretty clear the new way of life at Rams park is more focused, intelligent, creative, energetic, innovative and just plain better then the previous way of life under Fisher who seemed to be stuck in the 90's ....I know you loved him and will defend him to the death, but I'm so glad he is gone....and I was one of the last supporters around here....

There is no doubt in my mind that this staff will have this team in the playoffs by year two.

Sorry. You explain it well but I still think it's a buzz term. And you don't know what I think of Fisher because I generally don't say...mostly just to avoid the quagmire of Fisher Wars. But what you said does not describe how I feel. Do me a favor and don't leap to conclusions like that (not a heavy combat accusation from me, just a quiet reminder.) Basically, I don't think you have a single accurate idea of what my view of the 2012-16 regime was, and what went wrong. So better to assume instead that you actually don;t know. Maybe that will be material for a future conversation, but right now they're not conversations when this comes up---they are as I said Fisher War quagmires. Nothing useful gets said in them and no one hears anyone else.So again assume you don't know, because nothing you have said rings true.

That aside.

I like this staff. Getting Kromer and Phillips were high points for me. I expect them to do well. I think it will be an effective staff but that has nothing to do with "culture" IMO, which again is just to me a buzzword.

These are things I think I like (so far anyway though it also looks promising so I don't know how much I need that "so far" caveat):

First, Phillips always improves defenses, even previously already good ones. Since I am and always have been a very defense-oriented fan, this is really big for me.

Second, McVay likes the passing attack to work a certain way and as soon as he has the players trained up in that and executing (Goff, the receivers, the TEs, Gurley) it ought to be at least pretty good.

Third, I expect them to emphasize a kind of player I like---smart, very professional, mature. This is a rare Rams draft, going back years and years, where I got sold on the players they picked because of their interviews.

My 2 cents on the term though is, I expect to hear "culture" a lot and it will still just to me be an empty buzzword for "things I think I will like." Except my view of the English language is, say it without the buzzing...just call it "things I think I will like." Though I promise to mostly keep this particular curmudgeony view to myself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2017 03:44PM by zn.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

ESPN may be right on Rams, but wrong on division...

Rams43721June 04, 2017 07:14AM

If Rams go 4-2 in the division...

Rams43248June 04, 2017 07:18AM

You're out there 43, I'll give you that!

RFIP232June 04, 2017 07:52AM

Re: You're out there 43, I'll give you that!

Rams43238June 04, 2017 08:39AM

But

RFIP210June 04, 2017 10:12AM

I don't know how the 'culture' change translates to 'wins'...

JamesJM212June 04, 2017 08:02AM

what is a "culture change"

zn249June 04, 2017 08:29AM

Rampage2K-205June 04, 2017 03:09PM

zn240June 04, 2017 03:42PM

just amazing how you have to defend

Hazlet Hacksaw171June 04, 2017 04:03PM

Re: just amazing how you have to defend

zn225June 04, 2017 04:10PM

Just say no