Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Report: Reuben Foster's shoulder surgery "didn't take"...

May 04, 2017 07:04AM
[www.sfgate.com]

Report: Reuben Foster’s shoulder surgery ‘didn’t take’

By Eric Branch Updated 12:31 pm, Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Rueben Foster’s offseason shoulder surgery was ineffective and the injury explains why the 49ers inside linebacker nearly slipped out of the first round of the NFL draft last week, ESPN reported.

The 49ers, however, are “comfortable” with the condition of his shoulder and are “hopeful” it will hold up, according to the report that quoted a well-placed source as saying Foster’s surgery “didn’t take.” Another source predicted Foster wouldn’t finish his rookie season because his shoulder could “give out” on any hit.

On Friday, Foster, a top-10 talent who was selected No. 31 overall, said previous reports that he might require a second surgery on the shoulder were “not accurate at all.”
“I’m making good progress,” Foster said. “I’ll be limited in OTAs. In training camp, I’ll be a full go. If it’s my decision, I think I can go now.”

General manager John Lynch said the 49ers had rated Foster as the draft’s third-best prospect and they were prepared to select him No. 3 overall if their second-rated player, Stanford defensive lineman Solomon Thomas, hadn’t been available. They traded a fourth-round pick to Seattle to move up three spots to select Foster.

In this inside-the-draft-room story by MMQB’s Peter King, the 49ers thought Foster’s shoulder was “okay.” During the draft, Lynch asked head trainer Jeff Ferguson if the medical staff was worried about Foster’s shoulder.

“What shoulder!” Ferguson said in response.

The 49ers, coming off a 2-14 season, have given six-year contracts to Lynch and head coach Kyle Shanahan, both of whom have made it clear they want to patiently rebuild. With that in mind, they will presumably take a cautious approach with Foster and his shoulder as a rookie.

In free agency, the signed inside linebacker Malcolm Smith, while All-Pro inside linebacker NaVorro Bowman has been medically after he sustained a torn Achilles on Oct. 2.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Report: Reuben Foster's shoulder surgery "didn't take"...

Rams43622May 04, 2017 07:04AM