Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Absolutely no doubt: Everett was McVay's guy all the way

May 04, 2017 08:05AM
I don't know how it could have been made more clear without McVay saying the words: "I picked Everett several weeks ago. It was him all the way. That's who I wanted above pretty much anyone else.....including above Lamp, Feeny, and Zay Jones". The words he has used aren't far away from that. The words I picked he can't use.

Snead didn't pick Everett.....McVay did. McVay pounded the table for Everett and Snead looked at him, heard Kromer say he can make a decent enough oline out of the pieces he has, and so Snead said good enough.

And....I'm all for it. That's how it ought to happen. McVay was brought in here BECAUSE of his offensive prowess and his ability to put together a seriously good and experienced and successful O staff. He's going to get what he wants; just like Phillips is going to get what he wants on the D.

McVay has a vision for the offense. It is the Redsdkin's offense. It revolves NOT around RBs (like for Fisher). It revolves around passing catching overgrown WRs that have eaten their way into TE's. Guys that run like WRs. Catch like WRs. And block barely better than WRs.

McVay's is a TE offense. So what did he want first and foremost? Duh. A TE. And he fell in love with Everett. Snead agreed that Everett was good enough to take in the 2nd round.....and McVay had his guy.

Clearly Kupp was also a McVay kind of guy. Probably not as "pound the table" as Everett.....but not too far. McVay wants sure handed, excellent route running guys. He says he also wants explosive athletes. Not sure Kupp is explosive but he's not a dud. McVay runs a timing pass offense. And the guys we had last year don't even remotely get that. That's why goodbye Quick and Britt and Kendricks; hello Woods, Kupp and Everett.

Now; did McVay prioritize correctly? Did Snead evaluate properly? We'll see.
The type of guys have been identified and chosen. But will they succeed? That is entirely on McVay and staff. They must not miss on their first 3 picks or they have a big problem on their hands. Those 3 are really important. Reynolds will be a nice bonus if he develops into that long, over the top, threat. But the Rams won't live or die according to Reynolds. How Everett does is very important, as with Kupp.

My opinion? Everett is just too good of an athlete, too willing of a worker, too good hands, to be a flub. Ditto Kupp who other draft guys said is probably the most advanced route runner and overall WR in the draft. He runs 4.5 instead of 4.6, no way the Rams have a shot at him; he goes 1st round.

Apparently that new Safety caught Phillips' eye. That's good enough for me.
Reynolds? I don't know. I just think he looks like guy who causes NFL CBs trouble. He works the sidelines well; works the corners of the end zone well. Is so darn long, has very good hands, and decent long speed.

Depending on how well he does during training camp, and how many WRs the Rams keep (probably 6) we're going to have several WRs from last year getting cut.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Rams GM Les Snead on draft experience: 'The sixth is my favorite'

RamBill940May 04, 2017 04:37AM

Re: Rams GM Les Snead on draft experience: 'The sixth is my favorite'

RFIP348May 04, 2017 07:10AM

Absolutely no doubt: Everett was McVay's guy all the way

RockRam433May 04, 2017 08:05AM

Re: remember that story on "explosive" targets in the draft?

merlin448May 04, 2017 08:31AM

that story on "explosive" targets in the draft? I recall merlin

Anonymous User358May 04, 2017 09:33AM

Re: Absolutely no doubt: Everett was McVay's guy all the way

David Deacon267May 04, 2017 08:33AM

A lot of optimism there; not totally unfounded

max346May 04, 2017 08:36AM

Re: A lot of optimism there; not totally unfounded

RFIP440May 04, 2017 08:42AM

Good point about assessing McVay's eye for talent

max392May 04, 2017 10:29AM

Re: thoroughly agree on Everett selection......

leafnose309May 04, 2017 10:44AM

Explosive targets/Kupp

Suh-weet!332May 04, 2017 10:44AM

I thought he meant the 6th pick

IowaRam256May 04, 2017 11:44AM