Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I'd say it's more "luck" for the players. The teams still deserve credit

May 04, 2017 02:12AM
RamBill
Tonight was the debut of All or Nothing: A Season with the Arizona Cardinals on the NFL Network. Highly recommended, BTW.

In the first 10 minutes they showed the Cards Draft Room during the 2015 draft. They are on the phone with Ameer Abdullah in the 2nd round telling him they are about to pick him....he gets a call from Detroit....and they pick him. Cards are devastated. They take Marcus Golden

They are "forced" to take David Johnson in the 3rd.

It just goes to show how much luck can be involved in drafting.

Last year the Cowboys were totally lucky in getting Prescott. They tried to trade up for Lynch in the 1st....they were set to take Connor Cook at the top of the 4th when the Raiders took him one pick in front of them. Did the Cowboys then take Prescott with the next pick? No, they took DE Charles Tapper. They finally took Prescott at the end of the 4th with a comp pick.

Like they say, sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

Teams still recognize the players talent on some level and make the pick before other teams did. They put the players in a position to succeed...maybe a guy like Kevin Hogan is "Dak" last year if the Cowboys took him instead. The players however have zero control in what team takes them, what scheme they will play, what role, how much of an opportunity they realistically have to earn playing time etc...

"What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing"
- Oscar Wilde

I demolish my bridges behind me - then there is no choice but forward.
- Fridtjof Nansen
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Cardinals were set to take Ameer Abdullah in 2015

RamBill764May 03, 2017 09:49PM

I'd say it's more "luck" for the players. The teams still deserve credit

Flipper336313May 04, 2017 02:12AM

Re: No knock on Dak's talent, but that O-line?

Billy_T270May 04, 2017 04:43AM

Location, Location, Location...nm

RFIP191May 04, 2017 05:28AM

Re: No knock on Dak's talent, but that O-line? - Exactly

RamsFanSinceLA230May 04, 2017 07:05AM