Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wentz gets some weapons. Had an excellent rookie season...things look up

April 17, 2017 03:41PM
[www.delcotimes.com]

New additions have Eagles’ Wentz eager to get going

By Bob Grotz, Delaware County Daily Times
04/17/17
PHILADELPHIA >> One day into offseason workouts, normally reserved Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz had to rein in his feelings of optimism when talking about the players that management has added to the roster.

The list includes blue chip wide receiver Alshon Jeffrey, a free agent out of Chicago, along with and Torrey Smith, a solid pass catcher before joining the San Francisco 49ers.

Wentz, like Eagles fans, had a hard time stomaching the team’s 7-9 finish last season. Even with the NFL draft a week and change away, he thinks there’s enough talent here to win the NFC East pennant and reach the playoffs.

“Without a doubt,” Wentz said Monday. “We truly believe we have the pieces in place. And, you know, we’ve got a lot of work to do. We’ve got a lot of work ahead of us here. It’s early. It’s April still. But we truly believe that and we’re going to put the work in and get it done.”

Wentz’s work started before showing up for workouts. After completing 62.5 percent of his attempts playing the second-most snaps of any quarterback in the NFL last season, he worked with a throwing coach to “fine tune” some things.

“A lot of it had to do with footwork and stuff, but again, nothing real massive,” said Wentz, who threw 14 interceptions last season. “Just trying to make everything more efficient and smoother. There’s (mechanical) things here and there at times but nothing really that was big and evident that stuck out. I think it was just little things here and there. A lot of it might have been footwork and stuff, and being confident with the timing within routes and concepts.”

Wentz discussed his future with Jeffrey over what sounded more like a silent auction than a chatty dinner.

“Alshon’s great,” Wentz said. “Getting to just eat dinner with him and get around him, he’s a quiet guy. But I’ve seen him on film and we talked about some of the things he can do on the field. So I haven’t got to know him too much quite yet, but I am excited to get out there and finally throw with him.”

The quarterback room Wentz works in has changed from last season. Veteran mentor Chase Daniel was released. Nick Foles, who holds a piece of the single-game NFL record with seven touchdown passes, is here with Matt McGloin, the Penn State alum replacing Daniel.

“I have a lot of confidence in Nick,” Wentz said. “I’m getting to know him already. Guys have a lot of really good things to say about him. And now Matt coming in, as well, I think we have a really good quarterback room.

“It seems like we’ve got a lot of smart individuals in there. Obviously I’m missing Chase. He was a big part of it, knowing Doug’s offense the way he did. He was a professional and a veteran, and he helped me a lot. But at the same time it’s kind of the nature of this business and I’m excited to work with these guys.”

Doug is head coach Doug Pederson. Wentz said he spoke with him briefly on Monday. The Eagles discreetly asked Wentz what he thought of some of the draftable players he worked out with, primarily through the organization of the agent representing him. Though Wentz downplayed the reports he presented, denying they were detailed, it’s hard to believe he does anything halfway. Wentz estimated his film analysis included “a handful” of prospects.

“I didn’t watch too much in depth,” Wentz said. “I was just busy trying to evaluate my own game and our own system more than watching those guys.”

Pederson, by the way, hasn’t mentioned anything to Wentz about taking over leadership of the Birds. Directly, at least. Then again, it’s not like Wentz had to be told.

“That type of stuff will still happen organically,” Wentz said. “It’s just kind of my personality. But it was only Day One here. We haven’t been out on the field yet or done anything, so we’ll kind of see. But at the same time we definitely need lots of guys to continue to step up their leadership and start pushing this thing in the right direction.”
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Wentz gets some weapons. Had an excellent rookie season...things look up

Blue and Gold790April 17, 2017 03:41PM

Go Eagles!

Ramadune224April 17, 2017 04:06PM

Wentz and Goff are always going to be tied together

Blue and Gold223April 17, 2017 04:07PM

What about Dak Prescott? He had a better year than both of them!

Ramadune340April 17, 2017 04:17PM

Dak had maybe best rookie season, ever

Blue and Gold206April 17, 2017 04:43PM

FAR from excellent, LOL..nm

RFIP509April 17, 2017 04:19PM

That's YOUR opinion. Attachments

Blue and Gold366April 17, 2017 04:48PM

Re: That's YOUR opinion.

RFIP217April 17, 2017 05:45PM

Blue and Gold248April 17, 2017 06:06PM

RFIP273April 17, 2017 06:43PM

Both the below QBs Attachments

Blue and Gold226April 17, 2017 08:16PM

Neither were excellent

RFIP231April 18, 2017 12:58AM

hopeless

Blue and Gold198April 18, 2017 02:35AM

Not really

RFIP194April 18, 2017 03:50AM

Re: Hmmmm let's see here...

laram220April 18, 2017 05:50AM

Was Jared Goff valid in the comments he made?

Anonymous User303April 17, 2017 05:02PM

that entire article is one sentence.

max198April 17, 2017 06:38PM