Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Which Rams May Shift Positions in 2017?

April 11, 2017 03:53PM

Myles Simmons

With the Rams’ new coaching staff bringing fresh offensive and defensive systems, there will be a few players shifting positions on their respective units.

One of the more significant changes should be for defensive back Lamarcus Joyner, who is set to see time at free safety during Los Angeles’ offseason program. Joyner has primarily played as a slot corner in his first three pro seasons, occasionally working on the outside in a pinch.

“He shows up [on film] and you want to find as many ways to get him on the field as possible,” head coach Sean McVay said of Joyner on Monday. “Whether that’s him at nickel — which I think he’s one of the elite players at that spot in this league — or the safety, I think you see an instinctual player that has a great feel for the game. I think our coaching staff has done a nice job targeting him as a player that we have to make sure that he’s on the grass, he’s competing.”

When L.A. signed defensive back Nickell Robey-Coleman, it gave the club some flexibly to move Joyner. The USC product has also primarily played at slot corner for Buffalo over the last four years, making a pair of interceptions in last year’s Rams-Bills matchup in October.

Shifting Joyner to free safety also fills a need internally, as Maurice Alexander is expected to shift to strong safety following T.J. McDonald’s departure to Miami in free agency.

While moving to safety will be an adjustment for Joyner, it’s one McVay sounded confident the defensive back can make. The head coach noted much of what Joyner has been doing as a slot corner translates to what he’ll be asked to do in his new role.

Read Complete Article
[www.therams.com]
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

RamBill487April 11, 2017 03:53PM

Not a fan of Joyner

reggae186April 11, 2017 05:09PM

Re: Joyner will be better at FS IMHO......

oldschoolramfan150April 12, 2017 05:44AM