Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: disagree about Johnson factoring in

March 21, 2017 04:40AM
BPA every round. Can't draft for need. If the top RB falls to #37, we draft him or make a trade. We do have an obvious big hole at center, but maybe when we pick the top center is gone or the second best center doesn't grade that high. Do you still just grab a center? Of course not. I don't disagree that we need a center, another TE, maybe another WR, a FS, a backup NT, depth at DE and LB and CB. That's 8 positions and we have 8 picks. Could be we draft someone at all those spots, but we have to take the best player on the board in doing so. GMs and the scouts stack a board from 1-300 of every draft able player. They get number grades and these are used in the draft. To ignore BPA and just say, "but we don't have a center, let's get one here" when the next graded center is two rounds below is folly. If there are multiple equally ranked prospects when our puck cones around then need. Evokes the tie breaker, but even then, a shrewd GM will trade down a puck or two to still get their target and pick up another pick. If a target is a few picks ahead you trade up and give up a later puck to do it. It's not overly complicated, but it's way beyond simply thinking, even correctly, "we need a center" so you reach for one. That kind of thinking gets people fired and the team loses. Also, regarding need, it changes constantly. A major injury happens and now we don't have a blank. Players contracts run out and they get signed by other teams. Now we don't have a blank. Rosters are fairly small so depth is rare. I just read someone wrote we don't need a RB. With Gurley, Brown, Green and Dunbar that looks true, but what happens if TD30 goes down? Brown maybe could carry the load, but he's unproven. If Fournette miraculously fell to 37 you're telling me we don't pick him? Nonsense. Some supposedly top 20 talent should fall to us and we need to take that guy. He could be a RB, a SS, a QB, DL, you pick where we seem deep, I don't care I pick him. We need talent. Top talent. We have a superstar DT, the best punter in the game, a top 3 DE who we're moving to LB and little else. We hope our young QB will be a superstar. Our superstar RB played miserably last year and we have a CB who can be a top player is being paid like a HOF player and was MEH last season. We signed an AP LT but he's 35. AO is a talent. But he's changing positions again. Tavon can fly but didn't score for us. Woods looks like a solid WR too. Higbee.? Perhaps. GZ? Probably. Mostly question marks due to inexperience or injury throughout our roster. Take the best player. Every round.
Needs get filled by FA and trade. Our biggest need isn't a CB, a WR, a TE or even a center, our biggest need is football talent. We don't have enough. We need more.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

What positions will the Rams attack in the draft?

RockRam783March 20, 2017 01:40PM

Re: Center, DB, Wideout

merlin258March 20, 2017 03:27PM

disagree about Johnson factoring in

LMU93224March 21, 2017 03:13AM

Re: double down ?

leafnose209March 21, 2017 04:05AM

Re: I would target Butt in round 3

merlin216March 21, 2017 07:20AM

I'm not sure I equal big target with Jake Butt, I would go Shaheen

Deadpool206March 21, 2017 08:35AM

Re: disagree about Johnson factoring in