Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Woods Comes Home to Play with Rams

March 10, 2017 07:54PM

by Myles Simmons

It’s always nice to come home again.

That’s just what wide receiver Robert Woods has done by signing a five-year deal with the Rams — and in more ways than one. Woods grew up in the region before playing his college football at USC, where he still holds the program record for receptions. Of course, for the next two years, Woods will again catch passes at the Coliseum.

“Very excited to play at home, being at the Coliseum and make some more great memories,” Woods said on Friday. “I had good days in the Coliseum. I just want to pick back up with the Rams and be a part of it.”

Woods’ family lives in the area, which is a clear plus for the young wide receiver in choosing a team in free agency.

“Family is still there, still in Carson — Rams fans of course,” Woods said with a smile. “But big day, very excited — everyone is very excited for this day.”

But just as important was the fit for Woods with the Rams offense. The wideout said there was some selling on Los Angeles’ part that went on, but he also did his homework and came away impressed with the way head coach Sean McVay plans to get the offense going, as well as the pieces already in place.

“Young quarterback, Jared Goff, seeing him as the No. 1 pick. But you see the talent, you see the quick release, you see him stand tall in the pocket at 6-5, great arm. That’s one selling point right there — he’s a great quarterback,” Woods said.

One of Woods’ biggest strengths as a receiver is his versatility. He described himself as a complete receiver, one who can line up outside and in the slot as well as run block effectively. McVay said that is one of the reasons Los Angeles wanted to bring him in.

“A complete receiver needs to be able to play inside and outside. I think I can move all around the field. I can matchup against quick corners. I can matchup against big corners with speed and quickness,” Woods said. “And blocking — the last thing is blocking. Blocking on the outside and on the perimeter to get our backs free, which I have done previously.”

Read Complete Article
[www.therams.com]
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

RamBill574March 10, 2017 07:54PM