Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: I don't see how Tru J gets traded.

March 09, 2017 10:41AM
RockRam
Teams don't give up a high draft pick AND pay big bucks. They can pick up a good CB for NO draft pick and high bucks through FA.
Rarely, admittedly, it does happen. But it is for an impact player with Pro Bowl and/or Superstar status. Tru J doesn't even come close.

So, if the Rams would have been happy with a 3rd round pick for Tru J, they just could have not Franchised him, lost him, and probably got a 3rd round comp pick next year.

But would they really put themselves on the hook for $17 mil on the CHANCE that they MIGHT get as much as a 2nd rounder (which I don't think they can)?

So none of this makes sense to me.
TruJ is going to be a Ram for 2017.

Thanks for the clarification, Rock.

Well, let's explore some possible Ram strategy options. In no particular order, btw.

I think TruJo for a 2nd (assuming he's agreed to a long term extension with heavy guarantees for around 4-5 years and for around $12 million per) makes a ton of sense for a CB needy team. Especially if they have lots of picks and/or cap space. Tru is young, healthy, experienced, proven upper level performer, good teammate, etc. That has good value in today's pass happy NFL. And did I mention that he's a proven upper level performer? As opposed to a 50-50 risk even in a 1st round pick? Or 35% as a 2nd rounder? This is my most likely scenario, tbh.

They could accept as little as a 3rd, instead of a 2nd. They then gain back their $16.7 million plus a still premium pick in a draft that's deep through the mid 4th round. That buys them a starter via draft plus 2 more potential FA starters. My second favorite and second most likely scenario.

Keeping TruJo for the one year rental isn't the end of the world. It's pricey, but a drafted rookie CB could get up to speed quickly playing opposite Tru and under the guidance of Wade. My least favorite scenario, but 3rd most likely.

It's still possible that the Rams can come to a long term agreement with TruJo that makes sense for both parties. My 3rd favorite scenario, but least likely.

TruJo becomes infinitely more tradeable if he agrees to a long term sign and trade with his acquiring team. I think that's very doable, in fact. And Snead is a master trader.

All these scenarios offer the Rams something of value as opposed to the nothing they would have received if they had allowed Tru to walk. So I can definitely understand their thought process with the second tagging of Tru.

I will say that most of these scenarios work best if a trade can be worked out soon, before potential trade partners seek other solutions.

Soooo...

The worst case scenario for the Rams seems to be retaining a top 10 CB for one more year at $16.7 million. Not the worst thing in the world.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Not a snowball's chance in the Sahara

RockRam585March 09, 2017 09:21AM

Re: Not a snowball's chance in the Sahara

Rams43305March 09, 2017 09:46AM

I don't see how Tru J gets traded.

RockRam279March 09, 2017 10:01AM

Re: I don't see how Tru J gets traded.

Rams43286March 09, 2017 10:41AM