Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My Way Too Early Mock Draft

February 25, 2017 08:19AM
So... I love the NFL Draft Game Site. I'll probably do 20 more drafts before the real draft.

I, for one, feel that this draft is extremely deep in WR, CB and OG. This allowed me to trade back several times to pick up additional picks while still knowing I'd be able to draft one, of two or 3 players that I saw as being very similar in talent. The additional picks also allowed me to pick at certain times for what I believe is need as opposed to grabbing the BPA.

I'm sure you'll all find ways to pick it apart. That's fine. I tried to justify my picks and explain my reasoning, but there are a couple of picks that I do wish I could have back. Over all, if the Rams came out of the draft with these exact players, I'd still be pretty damned happy!

Round 2 Pick 32 (N.E.): Adoree' Jackson, CB, Southern California

- It was the Rams original 2nd round pick that allowed for all the trading back. I had only 2 or 3 other CBs rated higher than Jackson and with having played at USC, the LA scene is not going to be too big for him.

Round 3 Pick 10 (PHI): JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR, Southern California
- This was a similar situation as above. There were a few guys I'd have liked to have had, but the value here was great and having JuJu teamed with Zay (see 2 picks down) the Rams WR Corps could end up being a strong group very quickly. JuJu is a young Anquan Bolden and if the ball is near him, he's going to catch it or knock it down.

Round 3 Pick 15 (IND): Tanoh Kpassagnon, DE, Villanova
- So... I kind of forced this one. It was too early, but to me, this was a need pick for the rotation and it opens the door for Tanoh to get some reps as a rookie if we lose anyone.

Round 3 Pick 27 (K.C.): Zay Jones, WR, East Carolina
- To be able to grab Zay, this late in the 3rd round is either a testament to how deep this draft was in WR, or to how many NFL teams they are already stacked at the position. Assuming Zay and JuJu can live with "sharing the rock", these 2 guys could turn the offense around in a hurry. They both have decent speed, size and a willingness to cath the ball over the middle. If the Rams can find a guy capable of taking the lid off to top of the D (or use Tavin Austin in that manner) watch out.

Round 3 Pick 34 (CAR): Gerald Everett, TE, South Alabama
- He'll need to pack on a little weight without losing his speed, but this guy has the potential to be the Jordan Reed of the Rams offense and McVay knows how to use a guy like this. This pick allows the Rams to cut the ever-disappointing Lance Kendricks loose and to have a couple of young pass catching TE in place while keeping Harkey as a blocking TE and team leader.

Round 4 Pick 4 (CHI): Jon Toth, C, Kentucky
- This pick means Rhaney is gone. Toth is young and strong with nearly 50 college starts, solid technique and a frame that could easily take on 10 more pounds that would give him a playing weight of around 315. He showed pretty well at Senior Bowl from what I've read. Toth can legitimately battle for the starting C position this season.

Round 4 Pick 5: Dawuane Smoot, DE, Illinois
- Listed as DE, Smoot would be a OLB in the 3-4 system. Many scouts had a 1st round grade on him. He's got a great motor but needs to get a little stronger. Phillips could have some fun with his athleticism.

Round 4 Pick 8 (CAR): Ahkello Witherspoon, CB, Colorado
- Size, speed and athleticism. Good burst to the ball to break up/intercept passes. He's a little gangly and may need a year as a back-up, but he could be a key contributor late this year or early next. This especially rings true if the Rams consider moving Joyner Joyner to the FS position which is something I think would be great for the D.

Round 4 Pick 14 (IND): Ben Boulware, ILB, Clemson
- Great early down, run stuffing ILB. He is NOT a coverage guy but is a tackling machine. He's willing to take on the OL and if he can add 10 pounds will be around 250 playing weight. I did sort of force this pick because I felt another ILB was needed and after Boulware, the players available in this draft drop considerably.

Round 4 Pick 33 (COMP): Jordan Morgan, OG, Kutztown
- Small town school with potentially big-time talent. Showed solid at the Senior Bowl against the players from bigger name schools. With the additional draft picks I'd picked up from previous trades, This was a chance pick that doesn't hurt a whole lot if he never proves out but becomes a great value if he does.

Round 5 Pick 5: Julien Davenport, OT, Bucknell
- I wanted a potential LT in the draft and this was the last one that has true LT potential. Small school. Needs to get stronger for sure. He's athletic and has the right body and skill set for the position. With the potential for GRob to move inside and to have the injury prone Roger Saffold playing LT, Davenport could prove a valuable back up for a couple of years and could be a legit starter after that.

Round 5 Pick 16 (IND): Jeremy McNichols, RB, Boise State
- This is my Benny Cunningham insurance policy because I think someone is going to be willing to pay BC decent money. Jeremy is a tough runner, willing to try to pick up the blitz and catches the ball well out of the backfield. If the Rams manage to keep Cunningham, I'd still make this pick here because I believe he can battle for the 3rd RB position this year.

Round 6 Pick 5: Eddie Vanderdoes, DT, UCLA
- Vanderdoes is truly going to be a hit or miss guy. He has amazing size and talent for the DT rotation but seems to lack dedication to taking care of his body (They say he's got a cottage cheese mid-section) and sometimes seems disinterested in the game. But... When he's focused, he can be a disruptive force in the middle. I'm hoping that guys like Aaron Donald can help to get him focused physically and mentally. If that happens, this could be a great pick for years to come.

Round 7 Pick 5: Matt Milano, OLB, Boston College
- I just couldn't pass on Milano with this last pick. The guy is the classic over-achiever. The coaches will love him because he's the guy who will run through a brick wall to keep them happy. He's built more like a strong safety and a little light for any other position. He could be a strong, cheap contributor on ST from the get-go and over time, if he can put on a few pounds without losing speed, may be able to help the D as a back-up. This guys is a leader with all the intangibles and could force out either Bradly Marquez or Chase Reynolds because neither contributes much on O and Milano would be cheaper to keep around.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

My Way Too Early Mock Draft

PSJRam1054February 25, 2017 08:19AM

Re: My Way Too Early Mock Draft

LMU93353February 25, 2017 09:36AM

I think they could be better than 10 wins

Rams_81349February 25, 2017 10:32AM

Adoree' Jackson, CB, Southern California

Rams_81357February 25, 2017 10:30AM

Re: JuJu falls

leafnose310February 25, 2017 12:10PM

Re: JuJu falls.....I am a USC Fan.