Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bill Belichick

February 06, 2017 04:23PM
About ten years ago, I did an interview with a former Detroit Lions' offensive lineman named Bob Kowalkowski. We started talking about Bill Belichick, whose second job in pro football was with the Lions in 1976-'77.

Bob Kowalkowski: I mean, Bill Belichick … they talk about his first job was with, uh … I'm thinking … Ted Marchibroda in, uh … Baltimore …

Nobody writer: Baltimore?

Bob Kowalkowski: But his really first job was with the Lions under Rick Forzano.

Nobody writer: Oh, was it really? The hell –

Bob Kowalkowski: Yeah … he was a, he was a card-holder with us. He'd go on food runs for the coaches.

Nobody writer: Wow! Didn't know that.

Bob Kowalkowski: Rock Freitas used to always break his balls, you know. You know, Belichick would be coming back late at night with this big bag of hamburgers and stuff … and Rock … Rock's Hawaiian, you know –

Nobody writer: Yes.

Bob Kowalkowski: Rock ... he's about six ten, three hundred and ten pounds. And he goes, 'Hey Billy Burger! What are you doin' with the bag of hamburgers?' And he said, 'Well, the coaches,' – Belichick says, 'The coaches wanted something to eat.' Rock says, 'And you went out and got it for 'em, Billy Burger?' Belichick says, Well, yeah.' Rock would make him open the bag and he'd poke around inside it. Sometimes he grab a burger out of it or some fries. Then he'd say, 'Okay, Billy Burger. Okay. Go on along now and deliver your burgers.' And boy [Belichick] would just turn beet red.

Nobody writer: Let me get this straight. Rock used to call Belichick ... 'Billy Burger?'

Bob Kowalkowski: Yeah … oh, now. Yeah …

Nobody writer: Ouch. That's gonna leave a mark.

Bob Kowalkowski: And that's – I mean ... yeah ... he was a peon then.

Nobody writer: That's something.

Bob Kowalkowski: Now look at him – he's got three Super Bowl rings and …

Nobody writer: And everybody –

Bob Kowalkowski: One of the best coaches in the NFL.

Nobody writer: That's right.

Bob Kowalkowski: Because he put his time and grade in, took his lumps and learned.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Bill Belichick

The_Bad_Guy531February 06, 2017 04:23PM