Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What does new Rams coach Sean McVay do with Greg Robinson?

January 17, 2017 04:53PM

By Alden Gonzalez

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Sean McVay's first priority as the Los Angeles Rams’ head coach is assembling a staff, but his principal task will be figuring out the offensive line.

It all comes back to Greg Robinson, who just finished his third NFL season since becoming the No. 2 overall pick out of Auburn.

Does he get yet another chance at left tackle? Transition to guard? Get released outright? For the moment, a move to guard -- a position Robinson played briefly to begin his NFL career -- appears to be the most logical of the three, because it's hard to continue trusting him at left tackle and because it doesn't seem very prudent to simply cut ties.

"Honestly, I haven’t even thought about it," Robinson, speaking the day after the Rams' season finale, said about moving to guard. "If that’s the discussion with whoever comes in, wherever I’m at, that’s going to be the deal. But it’s not really something that I’m just going to accept, because I’m so used to playing tackle. It would be hard to adjust. But if I have to adjust, that will be something that I will do."

Robinson came out of a Tigers system that didn't require much pass-blocking, but the Rams -- under former head coach Jeff Fisher, who was fired Dec. 12, and general manager Les Snead, who remains in his role -- fell in love with his upside. Robinson began his NFL career on the bench, then played three games at guard, then became the left tackle after Jake Long suffered an injury in Week 8 of the 2014 season.

Robinson started 35 consecutive games at left tackle until he was benched in the Week 12 game in New Orleans. Four weeks later, Robinson was benched again, then only played in the regular-season finale because of an injury suffered by right tackle Rob Havenstein.

Robinson nonetheless believes he improved.

"I feel like I did, honestly," said Robinson, who is in the books through 2018. "Just all around; just technical work. I cleaned up a few little things. Penalties, it kind of hurt me. There’s many things that we can all get better at. But just honestly, bringing out the penalties, I feel like mentally I was progressing. There was a lot of things that could’ve distracted me, but I felt like I just stayed the course and tried my best to get better."

Read Complete Article
[www.espn.com]
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

RamBill845January 17, 2017 04:53PM

answer

21Dog459January 17, 2017 05:37PM

Re: What does new Rams coach Sean McVay do with Greg Robinson?

Classicalwit320January 17, 2017 09:02PM

Move him to Guard

BigGame81304January 18, 2017 03:29AM

Re: Move him to Guard

govane273January 18, 2017 07:31AM

Kind of like Mongo from Blazing Saddles (nm)

BigGame81199January 18, 2017 07:37AM

I think Mongo was more cerebral...

sstrams250January 18, 2017 07:39AM

Mongo only pawn in game of life....

LMU93336January 18, 2017 07:41AM

Waiting for the day when we don't have to hear his name anymore

promomasterj257January 18, 2017 08:55AM

"i hope they push me"

wv ram245January 18, 2017 09:41AM

Re: "i hope they push me"

roman18245January 18, 2017 09:54AM